Boston area vacation for 5 days-Massachusetts

Feb 21st, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Boston area vacation for 5 days-Massachusetts

I am getting married in July on the South Shore and there are several guests flying from the mid-west for my wedding. They are asking where they should stay, what they should do and see in the area. What are your favorite things to do/recommend to people who are coming to visit the Boston area for a week? Freedom trail, whale watching, lighthouse tour, a couple of days on the Cape, the Berkshires, the North Shore? Also, specific places and ideas would help me a lot. Thank you for any advice or recommendations you may have.
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM

We also got married in the Boston area and our guests enjoyed the Duck Tours, MFA, Harvard Square, Salem, Concord, Providence, and Newport.

Good luck!
Feb 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM

We visited Boston briefly last summer and really enjoyed the National Park Service's Freedom Trail Walk, the Duck Tour, prowling around the Italian section, the JFK museum and visiting Concord. A highlight for my son was a baseball game at Fenway Park.

We didn't get a chance to visit the other places you mentioned, but I'm sure we would have enjoyed them as well.

We stayed at the Omni Parker House and were very happy with the hotel as it was well located, comfortable and beautiful. I know others on this board have other good hotel recommendations as well.

Congratulations on your wedding. You are very considerate to be thinking of your guests and I'm sure they'll find plenty to do. Happy planning!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
ltt

stayed at the newbury guest house last summer. fabulous location for walking the freedom trail, shopping at the prudential center, access to the duck tours (which i really enjoyed and would suggest it be taken early in the visit. gives the tourist a good idea of where everything is in the city.) and plenty of restaurants around. the hotel includes a really good breakfast in their rates too. book early though, it is popular.
i'd also suggest driving down to the cape and take the ferry over to martha's vineyard and spend one or two nights there.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:22 AM

It would be helpful to know where the wedding and reception will be held, and whether your guests plan to rent cars.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
TKT

First, tell your guest that Boston is a walking city and they should not expect to drive everywhere in the city.
For July enjoy outdoor concerts and outdoor dining and walks around the city. Hang out on Newbury, Charles and Hanover Street. artsboston.org, has a good listing of concerts, plays etc..
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information! I will pass the suggestions along. I am going to recommend that for people staying in Boston they do not rent a car except for the days they are spending outside the city. Does this sound reasonable?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM

Hi
I had a wonderful trip to Boston last June all because I listened to my fodorite family. They said no car in city and they were right. Easy access by cab, subway or by my favorite the feet.

I stayed at the Westin and because they had messed up my reservation they upgraded me to a fantastic view of the harbor. They had some sort of boat races and we watched from our huge window view room.

Tell your friends to take a lot of walking tours. We did. We took one called (forgive me if wrong) Back Bay or Bay Back? It was great I learned so much!! Well worth it.

Loved Boston!!