Daytrip To Wine Country From San Francisco

Feb 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Daytrip To Wine Country From San Francisco

I am looking for an agenda for a daytrip in the wine country from San Francisco. I would like to visit a couple of wineries but I am also looking for other things also, perhaps some type of attractionor a neat little town someplace with great scenery. Any ideas? It doesn't necessily have to be Napa or Sonoma, but someplace that I could get an early start and be back to the city by dinnertime.
Feb 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM

Alameda has a winery, it's a nice town-island close to SF.

You can take a ferry to Tiburon, I remember there a wine tasting place. If you do a search, you can find it.

Non-winery? Berkeley, Sharffen-Berger chocolate factory (free tasting of great chocolates!!) and sake factory. Oh, we can't get away from alcohol, can we?

Sausalito is a cute place, but I'd go there for dinner. Or you can have lunch there.

Petaluma is a nice place on the river, lots of antique shops.

Stinson Beach if you dare to drive a crazy mountain road. Or you can take Golden Gate transit bus there.
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM

Faina has some great ideas that are not too wine oriented. Taking the ferry is always fun for me !

For the winery part,though,here is my "local with a bias" opinion for what I think is the most scenic area for wine
tasting-
http://www.visitwineroad.com/trip2.htm

You could also prowl around Healdsburg and go south and west of town to Guerneville and enjoy the Russian River area.

One caveat-this trip is not advised for March 3,4 & 5. It's Barrel tasting
time and it will be a zoo, except for Friday.

BTW,Haven't you asked this question before ?

R5
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM

The town of Sonoma, and then to Glen Ellen and Jack London State Park for Charmain's house containing his memorabilia, first editions, and the ruins of the Wolf House. Benziger winery is next door if you want to do some tasting. There is also a store with local olive oil tasting in Glen Ellen.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

razzledazzle, I have asked about sidetrips before, but in more general terms. I was trying to get a little more specific in he fact, that while I would like to visit a couple wineries, that's not what I am looking for to be the major part of this trip. I'm just really looking to find something different to see than I have before, a little something maybe out of the ordinary.
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM

don512,
I understand, well here's to "out of the ordinary", and it's really alot of fun!

http://www.safariwest.com/

You may have mentioned it, but what time of year will you be here ?
I could also advise on a lovely daytrip to The National Seashore at Pt.Reyes
and out to the Lighthouse
or
maybe kayaking at Tomales Bay or on the Petaluma River
or
a fantastic coastal drive up Hwy 1
to Jenner and a gourmet lunch at River's End (and my oh my what a view !!)
Thoughts?

R5
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM

The Russian River would be a perfect fit for your agenda, don. Head up US-101 over the Golden Gate and take the freeway all the way to Healdsburg, an hour or two depending on traffic and where in SF you start.
Healdsburg is small town America or California, anyway, with a nice town square, but there are several really good wineries in the area.
<http://www.russianrivertravel.com/wineries/>

West of there, head into the redwoods, around Guerneville, low key "resort" village with Armstrong Redwood two miles north of town, best place to see redwoods on a day trip north from SF, slightly larger than Muir Woods and much less crowded with bigger trees, free if you walk in from the parking area or you can drive back to the picnic area if you're too lazy to walk. Farther west, you pass through some second growth redwoods then come out to the coast at Jenner, an even smaller village right on the coast with a couple of sea stacks out in the ocean. From there, you could head north a short distance to Salt Point and Fort Ross, and south of Jenner to Bodga Bay there's parkland all the way along the ocean side of the highway.

South of Bodega Bay you head inland a bit before you get down to Point Reyes, but it'll take an hour to get back to the ocean at Point Reyes. If you have another couple of hours you could visit there, or just continue south on Hwy One to Mt. Tam, for ocean views and some hiking trails again before the hwy heads east a few miles back to the freeway (US 101) just north of the Golden Gate. This can all be done in a good long day.

Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

razzledazzle, we will be there in just a little over two weeks, the week of March 12th. Can't wait! Hope the weather is on a good track by then.