Longboat Key vs. Siesta Key

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longboat Key vs. Siesta Key

Looking at vacationing at Longboat or Siesta Key. Don't know anything about either of these areas but have seen them posted. Do either of these areas have nice places to stay on the beach? Which is better? I'd like to be fairly close(15 minute ride) to good restaurants.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Longboat Key is a quieter, more upscale community and I believe the vacationers are a bit older than those at Siesta Key. I've been to Siesta Key the past few years and it's a great family place. Both islands have few hotels, with beachfront condos the main accomdation choice. Siesta Key will be a bit more crowded. When you ask which is better I'm not sure what you consider important in a beach location. Both are within 15 minutes of restaurants, with St. Armands Circle close to both. I really don't think you could go wrong with either island, but you'll have a quieter vacation on Longboat.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

siesta key is nice; very easy walk to st armands circle where all the good restaurants are; nothing really right on siesta key except if hotel has restaurant. Lidobeach Resort best hotel on lido/siesta key. Longboat key more expensive, further from st armands.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM

Booboo, I think you mean Lido Key is an easy walk to St. Armand's Circle--I don't think you can walk from Siesta Key to St. Armand's. There are some fine restaurants on Longboat Key, such as Pattigeorge, Euphemia Haye, Harry's, The Drydock (less formal), Cafe on the Bay without having to go to St. Armand's to dine. Longboat is manicured and lovely, older population, quieter. Siesta Key might be better for a young family.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM

We recently stayed at the Helmsley Sandcastle on Lido Beach (S. Longboat). It was great. Oceanfront, easy access to restaurants. The hotel has indoor & outdoor dining as well as room service. Free beach towels and lounges, 2 pools, pretty grounds. I'd suggest rooms 101 to 204 and 201 to 205 for especially good views and privacy but there are dozens of great rooms spread over 6 buildings.

We toured Siesta Key - it looked fun but honkey-tonk.

Sarasota has a beautiful marina and park just where you leave the mainland to get out to St. Armands, Lido Beach and Long Boat Key.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
LN

Both Siesta and Longboat are beautiful. Longboat is quieter, more residential, and perhaps the people are a bit older. Siesta has a large public beach that is either the best beach on the gulf coast (purest, whitest talcum powder sand) or the 2nd best (to Longboat's pure white talcum powder sand).

One is not better than the other and you will find very good restaurants at either island. St Armands Circle is on Lido Key and does take a looong time to get to from Siesta. Ahhh, but Lido Key is also a very beautiful spot too.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
LN

Forgot to say how I know Longboat Key - I live here.