COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

KEY WEST - SUNSET KEY OR CHEECA ?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:36 PM
joe

KEY WEST - SUNSET KEY OR CHEECA ?

Any suggestions - 2 adults - 4 kids
boys 11 9 7 girl 4... Can't decide where to stay ... July 20 for as long as we can..

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:44 PM
jackie

You are looking at two different islands. Key West offers much more for children so I would stay on Key West.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM
susan

Cheeca Lodge is in Islamorada. I've only stayed there once, but there were lots of children and it seems to be a nice place for families. Sunset Key is a couple hours south of Islamorada off Key West. I don't think Sunset Key would necessarily be a great place for kids as there's absolutely nothing to do there but swim. Though you can go to Key West on the ferry (a short 8 minute ride) I think it'd be more convenient to stay right in Key West. You might consider looking into a two bedroom condo at the Galleon, which overlooks the Gulf, or a full suite at the Ocean Key House Resort, which is just down the street from the Galleon. I've stayed both places and they're both really nice.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:28 PM
grglnswsh

I agree with Susan and Jackie. Also look at the Hyatt in Key West on Front Street. Keywest.com has good info.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:40 PM
Keely

I stayed at Sunset Key and my first reaction was to say no to bringing kids there because it's very quiet & also very pricey. But I had second thoughts. It's got a curvy, zero-entry pool (not deep so not good for diving or real swimming, though). You'd get an entire cottage, not just a room, with CD player & TV with free video & CD rentals from their library. It's got its own little beach and the kids might really enjoy taking the little boat into Key West. We saw dolphins leaping by us a couple of times when we took the boat. And it's very safe. But Cheeca has much more activity. I also remember reading that kids liked Casa Marina on Key West too.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:03 PM
sn

Cheeca is great for kids..there is a camp for them, swimming lagoon, and lots of other kids. Just be prepared to shell out some cash.