Search

Sea Lice in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:38 AM
stace

Sea Lice in Florida

We're going to be in Florida at the end of July. I read a past post warning of sea lice being bad in SE Florida. Please excuse my ignorance, but what are sea lice? Is this indeed a problem right now? We'll be staying at the Harbor Beach Marriott in Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for any help!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Cheryl

I believe that "sea lice" refers to the larvae from thimble jelly fish that are plentiful when these jellyfish (which are about 1/2 inch in diameter and tend to occur in swarms) are spawning ... which I thought was usually in spring (May/June). The larvae are about the size of a spec of pepper and difficult to see. They tend to stick to the insides of bathing suits and can cause a skin reaction (rash) ranging from mild to severe. I don't know if there is a problem this time of year.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Suzy

My niece who lives in Palm Beach was visiting yesterday and she reported that sea lice season is over. Now, you just have to watch out for regular jellyfish and tar balls.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Mike W

Sea lice is usually limited to the Palm Beach and Martin County areas also. I think it is gone here in Palm Beach County now, but I don't think it affects Ft. Lauderdale usually anyway.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Lori Bittner

We were in Ft. Lauderdale in early June. We were in the ocean quite a lot. I looked on the web prior to going and as I recall they are present from mid May to Mid June. I did not have any problems in the Ft. Lauderdale area in early June. You should be fine in July. Enjoy the ocean.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Paul

Hey Mike - I will be in Palm Beach next week. Has the turtle hatch begun yet? *curious*

Paul

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Koby

When does shark season start?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:45 AM
koby

norom

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Mike W

Yes, turtle season has started and I think it runs through late September/early October. Not sure when it peaks.

As for the sharks, there have been a few "incidents" so far this year. For a story of several locals who flipped their boat and ended up bobbing offshore in chum they had prepared to attract sharks to their lines, see today's Palm Beach Post in the central local section (www.pbpost.com).

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Judy

When I was in SE Florida( Boca Raton - Delray area) in July a few yrs. ago I was told by the Red Reef Park ranger that sea lice come when the water temp. exceeds about 85 degrees. He said there is not a season specifically - just around whenever the water is real warm.

I am very sensitive to them. I understand there are plenty of people who swim while they are present and they are fine - just be sure to either change your bathing suit after coming out of the water or rinse under a shower. They can collect under the fabric of your bathing suit.

If you are concerned, I would check with the lifeguard what "water pests" may be in the water before you go in.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:29 PM
stace

Thanks so much for all your informative responses! I now feel educated on the common sea lice (lol!) I feel some sense of relief. Hopefully they won't bother us.

Thanks again!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Paul

Yes - thanks Mike and everyone else for their very informative take on the Florida waters for this time of year. I am looking forward to plunging into the Atlantic next week!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Jayne

Sea lice was something I never even thought of! More to worry about. We too are staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach for a few days pre-cruise in August. When are you going? Have you been there before? Curious about the beach and the accommodations.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Paul

Just back from the Palm Beaches and the Atlantic Ocean. Swimming was excellent - great clear waters with 84-degree surf temperatures. No, we did not encounter any 'sea-lice.' Yes, we saw a turtle nest hatch and took pictures of the marvel. Enjoy the beaches! Florida is a great place to visit anytime of the year.

Happy Trails,
Paul