Ft Lauderdale, FL or Long Beach, CA

May 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Ft Lauderdale, FL or Long Beach, CA

My family and I are trying to decide between going to Ft Lauderdale, FL or Long Beach, CA. Not being really familar to either area, I thought I would ask for some feedback. We would be flying into either one of the places, but could drive elsewhere to stay (within reason). It is me, my fiance, & his two girls (6 & 12). Opinions?
May 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM

What time of year are you planning on going???
May 19th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Sorry that I can't help on Long Beach but I like the Ft. Lauderdale area well enough that after staying here (in Pompano Beach) for several seasons, we chose to move here. There's lots to do, really nice weather, you can see Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, including South Beach which will wow the two girls. Happy to give you more info like sightseeing, places to stay, and even places to eat if you can provided a bit more info about your needs and wants.
May 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM

I live in Florida (Ft Laauderdale Area) and have to say that if it is hot weather you want, and beautiful beach weather than Florida is the place.

But when are you coming? Because June through November is Hurricane Season. Ad nothing can ruin a trip that you have been planning for six months faster than a Hurricane.

So make sure you get trip insurance.
May 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on the third week of June. I hadn't thought of hurricane season . . . maybe that makes California a better option?
May 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
lvk

What is it that you would like to do on your vacation? Beach, theme parks, sight-see?

The weather will definitely be warmer at the FL beaches at that time of year. Here along coastal California, we have many overcast and cool days in June. However, it is usually warmer inland at places like Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios.

If you just want to hang out at the beach, then maybe the Ft. Lauderdale area would be a better option. The hurricanes don't usually hit that early in the season.
May 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Long Beach is not really a vacation destination. The beach there is not much for swimming. However, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach are tourist destinations and an easy drive south from Long Beach.
May 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Yes, I was wondering why you picked Long Beach. Now I like Long Beach and my DD lives there but as frankie said, not really a tourist destination. June can have what we call "June Gloom" which is coastal clouds that may hang around much of the day although it may also burn off and be beautiful. I think lvk mentioned that.

As far as a choice, I think it really depends on what you want to do on vacation. If you just want to sit at the beach and swim in the ocean that Florida would be much better and warmer particularly the water (So Cal water is fairly chilly). If you want to combine the trip with other things such as amusement parks than So. Cal would be better. Besides the beaches Frankie mentioned, also look at Hermosa or Manhattan Beach. They are very close to LAX which is a plus for driving.
May 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
lvk

I was assuming that the OP was trying to decide where to go after either flying into FLL or LGB.

The beaches in Long Beach proper are not great, but there are some great ones close by, as mentioned by Frankie and Paula Also, Long Beach has the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary and various other tourist-friendly attractions.

Of the two, I think that Southern California would be more kid-friendly. Besides the warmer weather and water, Fort Lauderdale, Pompano or Hollywood Beach would probably be more wallet-friendly.