Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Girls trip- Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best girlfriend and I are in need of some sun! We found good deals to both of these places, but don't know what we should choose. We just want to relax and lay on the beach during the day, then have some laid-back bars with some live music if possible in the evenings. Planning on going the first week of March, so we expect that there will be spring breakers, but we hope we can avoid them! We'd like to avoid renting a car unless absolutely necessary. Which would you choose between Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM

I"m not a big fan of Palm Beach. I would try Ft. Lauderdale or even Delray Beach (between Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Delray has a nice "downtown" area-lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, and its close to the beach and the beach there is very nice. Its not the college hangout town, but you will find lots of kids, grandkds visting their parents, grandparets there during spring breaks. There is nice looking marriott right on or near the beach (1 block maybe)and a quaint looking hotel in the downtown area, maybe 2-3 blocks from the beach. YOu can fly to either FLL or WP and once in Delray, you wouldnt need a car.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM

If you don't want to rent a car, Ft. Lauderdale is really your only option b/w these 2. There aren't many hotels on the beach in PB and I think you'd want a car to get to restaurants and bars. If you stay in downtown FLL, there's a water taxi and plenty in walking distance.

You could consider staying in Delray Beach without a car and fly in to either of these airports. There's a main st. with restaurant and bars right near the ocean. You could also stay in Miami and still fly into FLL. How old are you?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas so far! We're both turning 25 this year, which is why we want to avoid renting a car and getting "underage" fees. Do you think Miami would be full of spring breakers the first week of March?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM

March in Florida is unpredictable, especially early March. To guarantee the warmest weather, I suggest you go as far south as your budget will take you. Fort Lauderdale would be my second choice but South Beach would be my first, again mainly because of weather. Here in Tampa Bay, it's going to be freezing tonight. In another month, all of Florida will be warmer, but how much warmer is a question. Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM

There's not that big a difference in weather b/w Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but now that I know your age, I think you might enjoy South Beach more. Go to wunderground.com and use their trip planner and check historical temperatures for the time you're thinking of going. Have you considered the Caribbean where it will be warmer?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into South Beach. I live in Austin, so warm weather is not as big a deal for me (it's 72 and sunny here today!), but my friend lives in the DC area, and anything will be an improvement over that! There are flights on Southwest to WPB and FL for 75 each way for both of us, so that's really what's making us lean in this direction.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
EJC

Ft Laud is your only choice, being 25 and not wanting a car... If I were you, i'd go in April, rather than March..It will be much warmer...
The beach is FANTASTIC along w/ the restaurants/bars

My wife and I will be in WPB and Pompano; 7 miles from Ft Laud; 4/17 to 4/30..We are MUCH older than you, but we'll have a GREAT time in all 3 towns.... We love the beach, whether it's crowded or not.

ps..We will have a rental car.......
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Okay, sounds like nobody is a fan of WPB for what we're looking for. The first week of March is our only option, unfortunately, but it does look like the weather in Ft. Lauderdale would still be warm enough for my friend. Any other tips? Fun restaurants (or piano bars!) to recommend? Thanks!