COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Savannah hotels

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:16 AM
rene

Savannah hotels

Am looking for advice on staying in Savannah while traveling through en route to Florida with my husband, 17 yr old, and mother in law. Where is a well-located, reasonable yet good place to stay? What do you recommend we do in the day or so we have? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM
tracy

I would recommend taking one of the trolley rides that offers on-off privileges to get a quick history of the city. You can pick them up at most of the historic district hotels. I stayed at the Days Inn Historic District last spring and although it is well located, I would not recommend it. The front desk, including the management, was consistently rude and unaccommodating. Also we ate at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House which is great if you like southern food.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
Lenore

We once stayed at the Days Inn in Savannah's historic district and it was a nightmare! Do NOT under any circumstances stay there unless you enjoy dirty, moldy, smelly carpet, ants crawling around the sink, stinky odors in the hallway and horrible service. On another trip we stayed at the Mulberry, which is a little pricey but worth every penny. Savannah is a fun little town....enjoy!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
lisa

I've stayed at the Mulberry and it is very nice. It is actually associated with Holiday Inn, but is nicer than your average on-the-side-of-the-road Holiday Inn. Free tea and coffee in the lobby, a nice restaurant, room service, etc. It is right downtown at one end of the historic district.

Another good choice a few blocks from there is the Hampton Inn. Also in the historic district, but you always know what you're getting with a Hampton Inn.

I've also stayed at a B&B called Planters' Inn (I think that was it). It's on a square very near the Hampton Inn. It's a lovely, historic B&B, with a nice breakfast and afternoon tea. I don't remember the rates, but it was reasonable. Be sure to eat at the Pink House restaurant next door -- one of the oldest in town!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:23 PM
Lisa

As for what to do, be sure to take one of the trolley tours. It doesn't matter which one you take because their content and price is regulated by law. They take you on a tour of the historic area, give you some good information and usually include a visit to one of the historic homes/museums, like the Juliet Gordon Lowe house (I think that's the name -- founded the Girl Scouts). I really enjoyed the tour and it's a nice overview, especially if you're short on time.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:59 PM
Serena

Friends of mine recently stayed at The River Street Inn and they said it was very nice. Also I have heard good things about The Mulberry Inn. Savannah is a lovely old town. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:05 PM
Jimmy

Just got back from two visits to Savannah, about 2 hours from my home. Downtown, the best option, and most expensive is the Hyatt. Nothing gets you closer to the action. There is a brand new Radisson on Bay Street which looks very nice, too. The historic hotels are the Mulberry (Holiday Inn) and the DeSoto (Hilton). The last trip, we had a family reunion and stayed at the Fairfield on Abercorn for about $60 a night. It's three miles to downtown, but a great value if you are driving. Don't miss Williams Seafood on the way to Tybee Island and take the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" Tour if you liked the book.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:12 PM
XXXXX

The Mulberry is very nice however, I like the Westin or the Hyatt much better.