Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. Are there any hotel with a free shuttle into town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Brian

Hello, we will be in the Washington D.C. area for only one day/night as a stopover.
Is there a hotel in the downtown/historic area that would have a free shuttle? I figure this would save a family of 4 taxi or bus fare from the airport & back. We will be arriving at 11:30 p.m. though. Thanks for any help.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:21 AM
kkj

Don't know of hotels downtown that offer this, but why not stay out in Crystal City. It's right near the airport. When I've stayed there shuttles were available. Then for the next day there is a subway stop and you are 5 or 10 minutes ride from the sights. There are several nice hotels in the area to choose from.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:32 AM
xxx

It is only a 12 minute train ride to the airport.
I like staying right near the white house at the Capital Hilton. Garden Inn hilton is four blocks from whitehouse but right across the street for the subway. Sure other places provide easy rail links. But will you want to stroll down to the Whitehouse at night, or the lincoln Memorial (short short train ride, an evening stroll down the main drag in George Town. These are fun and unforgettable experiences at night. You can even take a tour at night of the national monuments.

Train fare in from the airport $1.10 a piece each way. Where are you going after the stop over?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:46 AM
Brian

Hello, Thanks both of you for your help. I will look into those ideas. After Wash D.C. we are headed for Germany & Poland for 2 weeks.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:55 PM
crys

Then the advice needs to be re-thought. I think that everyone was assuming you were flying into National Airport, but if you're headed to Europe you are probably flying through Dulles or BWI, which are both a good haul (i.e. at least a $50 cab fare and no Metro stop) into DC. I don't know of any downtown hotel that runs shuttles to Dulles or BWI.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:22 PM
george

Use the Metro from National Airport. Safest train in the country. Buy a day pass if you want to go all over.