Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charlston hotel/inn for 4 adults and 2 teens and Haunted suggestion

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Staying at Wild Dunes for 5 nights (thanks Fodorites)in mid-August and need a place for 2 nights(Sat/Sun) in Charleston. 4 adults and 2 teenage boys. The Inn's recommended look very nice, but are running at least $200/night per room. Are there any deals/recommendations out there for a family? Although I prefer B&B's or Inn's we may need to go the chain route. Per the other posts, it looks like the DoubleTree or Embassy would be good choices. Thoughts?

Also, our boys love the "haunted" aspect of Charleston. Any recommendations for a fun tour?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM
bonniebroad

DebNY, I would recommend this Hampton Inn (official description below ... we usually stay at the one in the Historic District but it is booked for that time.) This is right across the bridge in a nice area, and I really like the California Dreamin' restaurant nearby. Hampton Inns are great, never have a complaint. You can get in here for $116 to $126 per night, depending if you can get a discount (I use AAA or AARP.)

"The Hampton Inn Charleston-Riverview is located 1.5 miles west of downtown Charleston overlooking the scenic Ashley River, Adjacent to California Dreaming restaurant and Ripley Light Marina. We feature 175 beautifully appointed guest rooms all equipped with the standard amenities as well as 3 VIP View rooms with refrigerators. Enjoy Hampton Inn's Signature Expanded Complimentary Continental Breakfast and Freshly Brewed Coffee served daily in the Marina View Breakfast Room. Parking is complimentary. Relax and enjoy our ''Little Hilton Head'' while taking in the Historic sites of Charleston, just minutes away. Amenities include complimentary continental breakfast, voice mail, and TV with cable. We also offer connecting rooms, cribs, hair dryers, refrigerators, iron, and outdoor pool., laundry/valet services, meeting/banquet facilities and rollaway beds are available for a nominal fee."

Now, if you want to stay in the Historic District, walking to everything, this won't work, of course......... but we have stayed in this area, and it worked out very well.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
GoTravel

I would suggest the Doubletree. It is right in the middle of everything and you don't have to worry about half of your party being hot, tired, and wanting to go back to the hotel. The rooms there are all suites and some two story.

Once you valet park, you don't have to worry about your car at all. Everything is within short walking distance.

Sometimes you are much better off paying a little more money for location.

Parking downtown can get tricky.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM

DebNY, not to throw a wrench in your plans but the hampton inn is not that nice- the first I have ever seen that wasn't clean and tidy. I would recommend the Quality Inn in Mt. Pleasant on the road to Patriot's point. My mother always stays in a hotel when she visits, she's normally a devoted hampton inn guest but hated the rooms at the one mentioned, now only stays at Quality inn or Rutledge house for special occasions. The quality inn I'm talking about is much nicer than what you would expect and same type location as hampton inn, just other side of town.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:46 AM

In response to your haunted Charleston question, we've done many ghost walks over the years! Love em, though in August its still too hot to go at 5:00, even 7:00 can still be a little toasty.
ghostwalk.net/gwtourinfo.htm
This one was fantastic! Look for the little discount booklet in most of the hotels, they usually give you a few $ off, some free appetizers etc.
Also, carriage rides are such a great way to see the city and get some history, the guides are usually quite humorous and intelligent, you may want to get a combo carriage ride and harbor tour, bonus here with a little breeze from the rides, if you get uncomfortably warm its a good time to take one!
For a really nice dinner try 82 Queen, their crab cakes and creme brulee are exquisite!
Meeting Street Inn has an "old" feel to it, the location very central, don't remember how much. THe Mills House is nice, also, lots of weddings there I've noticed. Also, central. There is generally a parking/day fee for the downtown hotels, just FYI!
Have fun, you'll love Wild Dunes!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:03 AM
bonniebroad

Artchik, it has been several years since we've stayed at Hampton Inn-Riverview (we prefer to stay in the Historic District) so apparently things have slipped at the RV location. That amazes me, as I've never encountered that in a Hampton Inn before! Thanks for the update!

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great advice. I will try the Doubletree, as we have a ton of Hilton points, but will also call the Charlston Travel Office to see if there are any Inn's a bit off the beaten path that might be in the $100 - $130/night range. I too stay at Hamptons all over the Northeast specifically because they are consistent. Too bad about the one in Charleston.
We will definitely take the carraige ride.

We have booked a condo at the Beach Club Villas on Wild Dunes for the first 5 days. We are taking our golf clubs and plan to play at least 2 rounds. Looking for anyone who has stayed at the Beach Club Villas who can give us any pointers on great things to do and best place/time to golf. The Villa does have a sports card, but I am still not sure exactly what that will do for us.
Thanks again for the great advise.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM

DebNY,

Don't despair that you aren't staying in a B&B. I love the ones in the historic district, but it is a party town and the noise kept us awake until all hours. Even tried changing rooms but it didn't help. We tried to find a high rise but they were all booked.

Do I sound old and stodgy!!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Not at all! My days of staying out until all hours are long gone.