COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Riverstreet Inn/Savannah

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:11 PM
blh
Original Poster

Riverstreet Inn/Savannah

Can anyone recommend the Riverstreet Inn in Savannah? I am researching a place to stay in Savannah for the middle of April. This hotel looks interesting on the internet - not nearly as big as the large hotels, but larger than a B&B and right on the river. Checked the reviews on TripAdvisor - they were mostly good. Thought I would ask for advice here as well. I'm also considering bidding on Priceline - but am wondering if the Hyatt is still in the process of redoing. Has anyone here stayed at the Hyatt recently and could report on the progress?
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM
blh
Original Poster

Trying again - Can anyone recommend the Riverstreet Inn? Also, looking at some B&bB's. Bed and Breakfast Inn is a good possibility. There are so many B&B's in Savannah that it's hard to choose - however, many are out of our price range. They Hyatt is showing no availability for our dates - they were quoting prices on the internet two days ago, but now it says "no availability" - which seems strange because it is midweek. It may have something to do with their remodeling.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I stayed there 5-6 years ago on a business trip to Savannah and greatly enjoyed this hotel. The rooms were nicely decorated, not all the same like chain hotels (there were several of us who attended the conference so I saw different rooms). We had a room on the river side of the hotel with a small balcony. There was a small restaurant in the hotel where the food was okay - we ate breakfast there. Lunch was provided. There were many places that were easy to walk to for dinner.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Hi
I am including a thread that I started last spring. We went to Savannah for the first time. We stayed at the Hyatt. It was just fine. Great views, nice room (corner) and perfect location.
This thread has a lot of information on it for other places to stay, maybe your Inn is on it. Good luck!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34507145
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 02:41 AM

I used to stay at the Riverstreet Inn on every trip to Savannah - but the quality varied with changes in management. The last time I had a river front room I was awoken in early morning to skateboarders jumping the curbs and riding the sidewalks and cobblestone streets. You've not heard a stranger sound in the middle of the night than skateboard wheels on cobblestones.

I now prefer the Hampton Inn - just across Bay street. In fact, the street side Riverstree Inn rooms look out on the Hampton Inn. Nice hotel with a historic look, good complimentary breakfast and equidistant from River Street and the Pink House!

When I'm traveling alone and not entertaining customers I sometimes stay at the Planter's Inn - because the room service is from the Pink House next door!

Last week I stayed at the Doubletree based on a friend's recommendation and I enjoyed that - although I prefer the other end of Bay street.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
blh
Original Poster

Thanks mlm59, Scarlett, and starsville for the replies. I am checking on Hampton Inn and several B&B's. Not having been to Savannah, it's hard to know whether to stay on the river or in a neighborhood B&B. I'm sure each has its advantages. Would welcome any other comments.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM

We have a son in college in Savannah and have stayed at several of the major hotels - we also like the Hampton Inn - it is on Bay Street which is one block up from the River and convenient to most everything in Historic District. Admittedly, we are not B&B types, especially when we have our son with us - so can't comment on other type accomodations. Have found good rates at Hampton.

Husband has stayed at Hyatt and Days Inn on other trips - strong preference for Hampton.

While River Street has several blocks of shops and restaurants, it does not give the true flavor of the Historic District. If you have a car, wander down one of the main streets that leads out of the historic district - there is some incredible old Southern architecture in just regular houses.

As far as renovations on Hyatt, do not know what it was like before renovations, but when husband stayed there in October, he found room ordinary and a little musty. Location is not nearly as good - towards the end of River Street.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM

gail,
I thought that they Hyatt was considered to be in the best location on River Street and in the historic district? The views are certainly wonderful and we walked all over the district from the hotel every day.
We were shown one room on a low floor that was musty-smelled like cigarettes. So they gave us another room that was very nice, on the corner with a window overlooking Bay Street and the other window looking up the river toward the Westin.
If anyone wants to stay at the Hyatt, I would recommend requesting a corner room.
Of course, we were there in June, things might have changed a lot, except for the location of the hotel LOL
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM

sorry, but gail, how did your husband and son do during the Superbowl? Did they come down? Did they have fun?