Papillote, pets and thoughts on Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Another quick trip to Savannah this week. Not a lot to report but spent a lot of time thinking about how much Savannah has changed in the last five years.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

cmcfong recommended a new casual French restaurant a couple of months ago. I finally got to try it out myself -
http://www.papillote-savannah.com/

Their Facebook description -
A little bit of Paris in downtown Savannah - enjoy a truly fresh and truly French meal either in the shop or in one of Savannah's beautiful squares - or simply take it home to share with friends and family!

It was WONDERFUL! Absolutely delightful. My friend and I ate in the front window and pretended we were in a Parisian bistro. I channeled my last visit to Paris and ordered the mushroom soup and the Croque Monsieur. Both were delicious. My friend (and half of the other people in the restaurant) ordered the Crab and Mango Tartine*…$ 10.99
A French open-faced sandwich topped with crab meat, fresh mango, avocado and a spicy sauce on toasted brioche.

I tried a bite and it was light and fresh and fabulous. We each ordered dessert - creme brulee and I tried the Gateau Breton. Wonderful. I took 1/2 of my sandwich and 1/2 of the cake to go and enjoyed it for dinner.

What a great find! Thanks cmcfong!
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I was traveling with my pup and tried a new hotel I was very pleased with. In the past I have stayed at the Thunderbird Inn (and have recommended it here) but their pet fees have either gone up to $50 or my memory has gone bad. I've stayed at the LaQuinta in Midtown but didn't want to drive in. I did a lot of searching on the internet and found a great rate at the Best Western Plus Historic District.

This is one of the older hotels on what used to be the not-so-nice end of Bay Street. Well, a lot has changed in Savannah in the last few years and that end of Bay Street is becoming my favorite part. Since it was for just one night I decided to give the BW a try.

It was VERY NICE. One of the more nicely decorated hotel rooms I've been in a long time. Beautiful big bathroom. Pretty bedroom. The standard hotel room setup. Some folks don't like outside entrances to rooms but I do and always have. It's extra convenient when traveling with pups. I asked for a ground floor room and was able to park just outside my room. The pet fee was $20 and the parking was free. I asked for the back side of the hotel in hopes it would be quieter for the pup. I felt perfectly safe walking her at night and in the morning - and of course met other pups and their Humans on their walks.

The breakfast is billed as a continental breakfast but they had hot items also. All of the usual continental breakfast options - cereals, yogurt, danishes, bagels but make-your-own waffles and sausage and egg too. I made a breakfast sandwich of bagel, egg and sausage and took it back to the room to eat. Flat screen TV, clock radio, coffee maker, white noise machine and good toiletries. A very nice room at a very nice rate - $89 in the historic district. Very pleased and I definitely will return.

Oh, beautiful bright open lobby with a concierge at the desk to help plan your trip. Friendly staff. I was tired and mistakenly went to the Quality Inn next door first. Same type of older motel but VERY dark lobby and old/dingy feel to it. I was quite relieved that they didn't have my reservation and I realized why. I very happily went next door.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Now, for the thoughts on Savannah - in particular how much things have changed in the last few years.

20+ years ago there were really only 2 places I liked to stay - the Planter's Inn and the Mulberry (a Holiday Inn property). Through the years I've stayed at the Hyatt and the River Street Inn (both facing the river), and the East Bay Inn. When the Hampton Inn was built on Bay street it became my favorite and I only stayed there for almost a decade. I loved the location - especially since it was a 1/2 block to the Pink House. (The Planters Inn is next door but I preferred the newer Hampton Inn). When the newer Hampton Inn was built on MLK I cautioned people against staying over on "that end" of the historic district. No more. I like that end as much if not as more then the other end.

What changed? Well most of all SCAD. The Savannah College of Art and Design needed to grow and they chose to grow by renovating old buildings all over town. Sections of town that used to feel abandoned 10 years ago are vibrant and full of foot traffic. Hotels have popped up and there are so many new hotels to choose from. In the last year or so, the conversion of Ellis Square from a parking garage to a vibrant open new (recaptured) square in Savannah has made a HUGE difference at night. It's safe to walk around. Lots of folks are out and about, listening to music, kids playing, etc. 10 years ago one just didn't walk around Savannah at night. It's a completely different vibe - and a great one.

I'm still not a big fan of City Market and River Street. Go there. See it. Walk a bit. Hopefully both will change/improve. But the beauty of Savannah is strolling it's squares. So much to see and do. Get off River Street and start really seeing Savannah!
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto SCAD. If yo live in a rundown city, you could do nothing better than encouraging a university with a strong arts/design emphasis. Virginia Commonwealth University is transforming formerly desolate parts of Richmond, and they have wonderful music and arts programs.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
OO

Nice read, starrs. I'm glad to see that things keep getting better. We certainly agree on River Street and City Market! One of these days I'll get back to see it all for myself again....
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:41 AM

I am so glad you enjoy it!
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:48 AM

My niece graduated from SCAD last year. That graduation had the best mortar board art ever in life.

I love Papillote too! It's really special.