San Francisco Marina Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning my first trip to San Francisco for 3-4 days in March. I'll be with 2-3 female friends, and we're in our mid-20s. A friend who used to live there told me to stay around the Marina area. I'm looking for places under $100 a night and have found these possibilities:

Presidio Inn (2361 Lombard St between Scott & Pierce)
Heritage Marina Hotel (2550 Van Ness)

Does anyone have an opinion about either? We won't have a car, so we'd like a hotel within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Another thing that is important to me for safety is that the rooms open into internal hotel hallways rather than to the outside (private balconies are fine).

Also, I plan on ordering Alcatraz tour tickets and was wondering whether the day ($16) or night tour ($23) is better?

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM

The Cow Hollow Motor Inn is great, with very large rooms and rates range from $86 to just over $100, not sure sure if it's more than that for more than two people. Interior hallways, great location. Their sister properties, Chelsea Motor Inn and Coventry Motor Inn can be accessed from the same site, but I think all are the same price and I prefer the location of the Cow Hollow best.

I've never done Alcatrez at night, but those who have say it is neat. At first I'd think I'd miss the views of the city, but then maybe the lights at night make it that much better too.
www.cowhollowmotorinn.com
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Anywhere in the Motel area on Lombard will be close to restaurants - there are perhaps 30 of them within a 20 min walk. Chestnut St (1 blk north) is buzzing with 20 year olds on Fri & Sat nights. Lots of bars/cafes/restaurants, etc. Stop for a drink at Matrix bar on Fillmore, or Cozmos on the corner of Fillmore & Chestnut. Beware of the Bermuda Triangle on Fillmore & Greenwich, however. Chestnut is also quite an active place for breakfst or brunch on Sat & Sun mornings.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Roxy, as a former long-time resident of the Marina neighborhood, I can tell you that it's a difficult combination to find a place both under $100 per night and with rooms off central hallways. The reason is that this area along Lombard and Van Ness (including the addresses of the two hotels you listed) is on U.S. 101, which runs along these streets, and was S.F.'s "Motel Row" until about 25 years ago, when new lodging construction moved elsewhere. Only a very few of the properties built during the end of this period have rooms off interior hallways.

The sister properties mentioned by Patrick, the Cow Hollow Inn and the Chelsea and Coventry Motor Inns, are among these later period, inner hallway properties (and I agree with Patrick that the Cow Hollow Inn has the best location of the three for nearby restaurants and shopping)but according to the prices posted at Tripadvisor.com, the Cow Hollow has raised its prices considerably from the ones Patrick remembers and out of the range you requested. Check them out. If the Chelsea and Coventry are less than your limit, even if the Cow Hollow isn't, I would consider them, as the difference in locastion is only 3 or 4 blocks.

Of the two hotels you listed, the location of the Presidio Inn is better for nearby amenities, but the Heritage Marina's is good too. I don't remember these properties under those names, but if they are the ones I think they are from their addresses, the Heritage Marina does meet your indoor hallways criteria, and is a 1970's property recently refurbished and reopened under new management. It does not seem to have any reviews on tripadvisor.com. I don't know whether you should consider these good or bad indications.

And if the property now known as the Presidio Inn is the one I'm thinking of, it is a pleasant looking place, extremely well located, which does not, however, meet your inner hallways criterion. If this is an absolute must for you, you should doublecheck this question with them. It might not be the place I anm thinking of.

I'd encourage you to relax that requirement in the Marina, however, even if you would not otherwise in S.F. This is the safest, most residential, most prosperous neighborhood in S.F. that also has good budget lodging.

If you are willing to consider relaxing your inner hallways requirement to something in between, and don't always want to stay in the same bland sort of place, then you can consider my favorite budget choice in this neighborhood, the one I recommended for years to people visiting me when I lived nearby: the Marina Courtyard motel. You will probably pay less here than at any of the other places mentioned above, but for accommodations of greater charm and character. No hallways, but this very well preserved and maintained, vintage historic 1930's motel has a configuration now rare, but then common among motels or apartment buildings in California: the unit is built above an individual garage, and the door to the unit is at the top of an individual (or maybe serving two units) stairwell going up from a central, off street courtyard. You can see the entrance to one of these stairwells on the "History" page of the Motel's web site:
http://www.marinamotel.com

All my friends and relatives found this place refreshingly different, safe, comfortable, and a great value for the price. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.com, where it is listed as the Marina Courtyard Motel. It location is peerless in the area for restaurants and shopping, not the least of its amenities being the supermarket just around the block (a rarity in hotel and motel areas of S.F.)and the very extensively stocked 24-hour drug store right across the street.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Roxy, something I forgot. If you like to sleep in at all, do not DO NOT get a room fronting on the south side of Lombard Street or the west side of Van Ness Ave. (On both streets, this would be relevant to hotels/motels with odd numbered addresses, including the Presidio Inn you listed.)

This is because starting very, very early in the morning, commuter buses with people coming to work from the suburbs across the Golden Gate Bridge pour down these streets literally by the hundreds, and they will be right outside your window and extremely loud.

The problem is not as great with properties on the north side of Lombard Street and the east side of Van Ness (those with even numbered addresses, including the Marina Motel and the Heritage Marina Hotel)because you are less likely to be in your room trying to sleep during the afternoon commute hours when the big bus flow is on that side of the street.

But even on that side, I strongly recommend asking for a room that does not have windows on the bus route. This should be easy to get at most properties on Lombard and Van Ness, because, having originally been built as motels, they have most of their rooms fronting on a central courtyard rather than the street, and this helps to largely diminish the sound problem in those rooms.

In the Tripadvisor reviews of the Marina Motel, you will read the review of someone who was driven from her room at the Presidio Inn by the bus noise to a courtyard room at the Marina, which she found much quieter. But I would avoid even the few rooms at the Marina with windows on Lombard, even if they are on the north side.

Also take into account when considering the Heritage Marina or other places on Van Ness, that in addition to the Golden Gate Transit (GGT) bridge commuter buses, Van Ness has a heavy traffic of Muni (city) buses, which Lombard does not. However, the GGT buses always seemed a lot louder to me than the Muni buses.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM

JBC411, the prices that you say I "remember" which are now raised are the ones I got off the current website for Cow Hollow Suite. And just a few months ago we paid under $100 there -- in the summer, but using a AAA discount. Depending on the actual dates their rates CURRENTLY start at the $86 I mentioned, and their rooms meet all the requirements mentioned by Roxy, including the inside hallways.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Now Patrick, before getting indignant with me, notice that in the next sentence after I mentioned I had seen an indication elsewhere that Cow Hollow Inn had raised its rates, I advised Roxy to "Check them out."

I would always advise people to check out personally the rates for the dates they want for a property at which rates are an issue for them. There's too much rate variation over different dates. Tripadvisor was listing a $125 minimum for Cow Hollow, but I knew that might be a summer weekend minimum or be outright inaccurate. I considered that just a warning flag that Roxy should know about, so she did not shut off consideration of other possible good choices, then be disappointed when she went to reserve.

I went to the Cow Hollow web site myself, and did note that the rates starting at $86 you quoted, Patrick, expire January 31. Also, that a pop up box offered a $79 Internet rate, also with an expiration date before Roxy will be there. By all means, Roxy, check 'em out for the dates you want in March.

In my earlier message, I went on to advise Roxy to check out the rates at the sister properties Chelsea Inn and Coventry Inn too, in case the Cow Hollow had, in fact, risen out of her range but they had not. I think everyone would agree the Cow Hollow is the best located of the group and might have the highest rates.

I think I was clear that I thought any of these three were all fine choices. Whether they're preferable to the Marina, which would still be my top recommendation to a friend unless I knew they always preferred modern decor in their accommodations, is a matter of taste and pocketbook.

By the way, I noticed on the web site that the Lombard Motor Inn near the corner of Lombard and Van Ness is another sister property of the Cow Hollow, and it is another more recent, interior hallway hotel in this area that I had forgotten about. Roxy, if you would prefer this type of property, ask for the Lombard Motor Inn's rates too, as they might be the lowest of the group. Its location is the least desirable of them as regards nearby amenities, which might lead to a lower rate, although again we're only talking 2-3 blocks difference.

If you choose that one, Roxy, try to get a room as high up as possible, both to avoid the bus noise and because it is a little uphill from the others, enough that you might catch a Golden Gate Bridge view from the upper floors.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Re: Presidio Inn - DON'T

Had two nights booked there last August. Forfeited the second night (paid with VISA and was never reimbursed) because I couldn't stand the place for a number of reasons - hugely noisy; creepy front desk guy who wouldn't give me the top floor room I had requested and told me it wouldn't matter because the room over the room he was giving us was vacant. Hah!! Vacant my *&#!! Some nocturnal weirdo was living in there and stomped around between the bathroom and the bed all night while watching TV and high volume. Was up and outta there at 6:00 a.m. The experience has poisoned me on Lombard St. where before this I had stayed several times (The Chelsea Motor Inn and The Buena Vista - both totally acceptable).
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM

It wasn't on your list, but you might consider the Marina Inn (Lombard & Chestnut). I stayed there a few years back and thought it was simple but very pleasant--very like a European B&B. The noise wasn't a big issue for us (our room faced Chestnut) and the bay windows provided lovely views. At that time we paid $80/night, so it might be just above your range by now, but perhaps worth a look. Here's the Fodor's page on it: http://www.fodors.com/rants/rrread.c...sort=name&pg=4
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I see this post from two weeks ago was brought back up, but Roxy05 who registered just to post this hasn't returned. We're here to help, Roxy, any more questions or comments about all the comments made for your benefit?
Did you make a decision?
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM

>>It wasn't on your list, but you might consider the Marina Inn (Lombard & Chestnut).<<

Don't look for this hotel at the corner of Chestnut & Lombard - those two streets run parallel to each other.

Patrick - I think Roxy5 has a short attention span.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM

>>It wasn't on your list, but you might consider the Marina Inn (Lombard & Chestnut).<<

Don't look for this hotel at the corner of Chestnut & Lombard - those two streets run parallel to each other.

My bad. It's at Octavia and Lombard.