Best Neighborhood in Which to Stay in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - Can you recommend the best neighborhood in which to stay in San Francisco? My fiance and I are in our late 20's and we're looking to stay in a neighborhood that will be convenient for us to get around to all of the major sites(access to buses, cable cars, etc) and a neighborhood that also has some good restaurants, bars and lounges nearby. Any recommendations? I've heard that Union Square is convenient, but it seems like it's mostly known for its shopping and unless it has a lot of quaint, cute boutiques, I'm not really into that (I live in NYC and have Bloomingdales and every other major chain store imagineable here!!) If there are quaint boutiques in Union Square vs the major big dept stores, that's a different story but it doesn't seem like that's the case...Any suggestions?? Thanks!!
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I'd strongly suggest you stay in the Marina or Cow Hollow area. This is an area where you'll feel right at home. Lots of young professionals in their 20'3 and 30's live there. There is very convenient and frequent bus service including a main line that will take you from there to Ghiradelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, through North Beach and Chinatown, to Union Square and then Market Street -- practically everywhere you'll want to go without changing busses!

The neighborhood is primarily little boutiques along with chains such as Pottery Barn and Victoria's Secret. There are dozens of good medium priced and popular restaurants and bars. It's a lively and fun neighborhood. It's a short walk of a couple of blocks down to the bay for glorius views of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz.

Depending on your budge, either splurge and stay at the Cow Hollow Suites -- a fully and beautifully furnished apartment or at the adjacent Cow Hollow Motor Inn, a more budget oriented choice, but clean, spacious, and nice. See the website and click for either property:
www.cowhollowsuites.com
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I agree -- stay in the Marina/Cow Hollow/Union Street area.

Union Street offers dozens of great restaurants & bars between Steiner & Van Ness, and the area is close to the Golden Gate, Fishermans Wharf, etc.

Enjoy!
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:41 PM

If you do make reservations at the Cow Hollow Suites or Motor Inn, ask for a room which does NOT overlook Lombard Street - a six lane thoroghfare which can be on the noisier side.

Another option in that neighborhood is the Union Street Inn www.unionstreetinn.com, an adorable B&B. I didn't stay there personally, but my friend did and I saw the whole place. It's really cute with a garden in back.

Another option is Hotel Del Sol http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/5.

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM

No rooms at Cow Hollow Suites face Lombard. They are either facing Chestnut or are within the block. Many of the rooms at Cow Hollow Motor Inn, however, do face Lombard -- which didn't bother us in the least with the windows closed.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! So there are 2 votes for Marina/Cow Hollow neighborhood. Does everyone agree that is the best place to stay?? Sounds like it, but also sounds like Lombard St is kind of a noisy area...
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Another vote for the Marina/Cow Hollow area. Here is a repeat of a post I did a while back.

San Francisco Hotel Areas
It seems that about once every week, there is a discussion about “where to stay” while visiting San Francisco – especially for first timers. Most people ask about either the Union Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, or the Marina hotel areas. Here are some thoughts, with a little of my bias thrown in:

1. Union Square - This is downtown’s fashionable shopping/dining/hotel area. The “Grand” hotels are here, and a few blocks north on Nob Hill (very steep to walk there, however) The big department stores are close by, along with many smaller shops and “boutique” hotels. It is also next to the theater district. Perhaps our most “elegant” restaurants are in this area (Fleur de Lys, Farallon, Masa’s, Ritz Carlton, Postrio, etc). There are fewer “simple”, “Mom-n-Pop”, or ethnic restaurants than you will find in other parts of the City. The Cable Cars run by Union Square, so you can get to the Wharf area quickly. You can get off the Hyde St C.C. line at Union St for a walk downhill to Union St/Chestnut St (Cow Hollow/Marina). The major drawback is it’s proximity to the gritty Tenderloin, which is immediately west & south of Union Square. I don’t know if crime rates are higher, but you will feel a little more threatened than you will in the other two districts I’ll describe. There are many high-rise buildings, so there’s a little less sunlight than you will find elsewhere. Union Sq. is perhaps not as “family oriented” as the other two hotel areas. It gets more business travelers, and people who want a little more “luxury” in their hotel. Union Square is a bit “dead” on Sundays, and not as lively as the other places in the evening. I don’t enjoy strolling after dinner in this area as much as I do on Union St/Chestnut St. If you have a car, you will regret it. Parking is very expensive ($50 per night or so), and driving is difficult.

2. Fisherman’s Wharf. The Wharf is mostly inhabited by tourists. Plenty of souvenir shops selling T-shirts & other things to remind you of your visit to SF. Local entertainment includes a wax museum, Ripley’s Believe-it-or-Not, and now a Hooters – things kids might enjoy (except for the Hooters). You won’t find many locals in this area (and if you did – they wouldn’t admit it). Most restaurants are tourist oriented, and most locals feel they are mediocre at best. Good proximity to the Cable Cars, which is a plus. Nice views out into the Bay. It’s also within walking distance of North Beach, which should be on everyone’s agenda for at least one Italian dinner and “people watching” evening. With the Cable Cars, it’s quick to get downtown, but you might have to wait in line for 30 mins or so at peak times. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Union St/Chestnut St areas (see 3rd option for description). The Wharf is a perfectly safe area (from crime, vagrants, etc). Hotels usually charge $25-$40 per day for parking. Lively (with tourists) every day. If you want to stay in a typical un-San Francisco environment, this is a good choice.

3. Marina/Cow Hollow. There are many motels along Lombard St, which are (in general) cheaper and much more simple than the ones you will find in the other two districts. The main advantage to this area, in my opinion, is that it has more typical SF “flavor” than the other spots. Lombard St is one block from Chestnut St, and three blocks from Union St. Both these streets are loaded with boutiques, restaurants, and buildings with unique architecture (Victorians on Union, Art Deco on Chestnut). When we first moved to San Francisco almost 30 years ago, I remember a poster that said “If you left your heart in San Francisco, you will probably find it on Union St”. This is a residential area and you will find many locals doing their daily “stuff.” On a Sunday morning (especially if it’s sunny) you will see many folks going to the exercise studio, having breakfast at one of the many outdoor café’s, and standing on the street with their “lattes” and chatting with friends. There are no “elegant” restaurants in this area, but many of the type that locals enjoy (Isa, Betelnut, Pane e Vino, PlumpJack, Balboa Café, A16). This is a good area for strolling during the day, before dinner, and after dinner – it is quite lively, especially on weekends. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Wharf, where you can catch a Cable Car (or walk up Union St to catch the CC). East of the Union St shopping area, (just past Van Ness) is Polk St, where there are more nice shops & restaurants. Also on Polk St is La Folie, which is one of my favorite restaurants (if someone else is buying) and also one of the highest “rated” in the City. This is a perfectly safe area. One of it’s best advantages, is that you can park a car free at many of the Motels. Also, it is an easy area to drive in (although there are steep hills just south), and it’s a quick trip across the Golden Gate bridge to my favorite view in all the Bay Area (GGNRA, just north and to the west of the Bridge).

Stu Dudley
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:30 AM

I used to say at a little motor lodge on the corner of Lombard and Gough St. We often had a room facing Lombard. No noise with the windows closed and at night there is not a lot of traffic. It's pretty quiet at night. Very busy during the day of course.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! It sounds like Cow Harbor/Marina area is definitely my style. Any other hotel recommendations? I checked out Union St Inn which looked adorable!! But, unfortunately they are booked for the weekend I am looking to travel there. Looking for more of a B&B or quaint hotel than a motor inn. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I stay with friends now, but I've stayed at the Hotel Del Sol several times in the past and really enjoyed it. Perfect location and very eclectic.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Second the Del Sol suggestion. My twenty something kids have loved it. Sort of 50s retro. Just try to ask for a quieter room!