Things To Do In The Marina District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sisters and I will be bringing my mom to San Francisco at the end of February for her birthday weekend. We are going to stay in the Marina District and plan to go to the Presidio and maybe Golden Gate Park. I am looking for hotel recommendations in that area and any other interesting, fun things to do in that area. My sisters and I range in age from 35 - 41 and my mom is in her early 60's but very active and in great health, so even physical activities would be great!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM

There are no "hotels" in that area, but there are plenty of motels. Often recommended on this board is the group of hotels on the following site:

http://cowhollowsuites.com/

There's plenty of eating and boutique shopping in the area (Union Street and Chestnut Street). There's the Marina Green if you want to walk or run. You can walk over the Golden Gate Bridge.

But why are you looking for things to do "in that area"? San Francisco isn't that big, you don't need to limit your sightseeing or activities to that area.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM

There is both Cow Hollow Motor Inn and Cow Hollow Suites. The suites are wonderful apartments -- some as large as two bedrooms with two full baths, and some masters even have two king or queen beds plus another queen or king in the guest -- for around $250 a night. It's a STEAL for what it is! Check it out if you can. It's located right in the heart of the Marina on Chestnut and even has FREE underground parking. I'm not sure how many sisters we're talking about here!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

We are from the Bay Area and my mom grew up and worked in San Francisco years ago. Each year we take her back for her birthday and do something different. So, we have done a lot in the different areas of the city and like to find interesting things to do in whatever area we are staying in. We have stayed at Cow Hollow before, but not for several years. It was looking a little worn the last time we were there, so I was looking for other options in the area. I have been looking at La Luna Inn which has been recently remodeled. Any thoughts on that?
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Did you stay at Cow Hollow Suites or Cow Hollow Motor Inn? Two separate entities.
I'm curious about your "worn" comment since we are staying there (in the Suites) in June, but haven't for a couple years. We did spend a few nights in a room in Cow Hollow Motor Inn a year or so ago, and I could easily see how that would seem worn, though.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

We have always stayed at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and that was the location I was referring to as a little worn.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM

My favorite motel in Cow Hollow/Marina:

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/del_sol

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM

San Francisco Walking Tours are great. We recently went on the Pacific Heights Mansions tour and loved it. http://www.sfcityguides.org/
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM

We love the walk on the Coastal Trail section from Golden Gate Bridge west to the Cliff House (or go the other way if you like looking at the GG Bridge).

There is a city bus to/from the Cliff House area (actually La Playa) but I'm not sure how to connect that to the Marina District. I'm sure the Muni website has directions.