Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Columbus Motor Inn, Chelsea Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Motor Inn, Coventry Motor Inn??

Search

San Francisco - Columbus Motor Inn, Chelsea Motor Inn, Cow Hollow Motor Inn, Coventry Motor Inn??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think we have finally decided to stay in a motel in the Marina District. Both Chelsea and Columbus Motor Inn offer rates at less than $100 and the Cow Hollow is about $25 more. Can anyone tell me if any of the above may be on a quieter street. Also what about the neighborhoods - we like going to coffeeshops and love little artsy type shops and galleries. Thanks so much

Pam
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM

If memory serves, Cow Hollow Inn is on Lombard Street, a very busy thoroughfare. Not sure about the others.

I always stay in Cow Hollow, technically a bit south of the Marina and closer to Union Street. Don't miss Brazen Head for old school food and drink.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:47 PM

Columbus, hands down. The only hotel in such a great location with free parking. Walking distance to everything, as long as you like to walk. (San Fran is a great walking city).
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM

I have stayed at The Chelsea Motor Inn 3 times. It is perfectly adequate and well situated for all the things you would like to do. Right in the Fillmore, Union St. area with lots of eating and shopping to be done. As I recall the parking was included in your room rate but that may have changed - they have a website - perhaps it says.

Once we were there on a Friday night and the clubs let out at 2:00 a.m. That was very loud for quite a while. Don't remember that happening last time so maybe we were there mid week.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Even though Lombard Street doesn't have the cute coffee shops and antique stores you'll definitely find that stuff on Chestnut Street and Union Street. It's my favorite area of S.F.!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:25 PM

We usually stay at the Columbus Motor Inn. It's easy walking distance to China Town and North Beach. If you choose to stay there ask for a room on the 3rd floor because it is on a busy street and can get noisey.

I've seen the Cow Hollow and the Chelsea and both look fine, though they are both on busy streests. I think the area they are located in would be more to your liking. They're a block away from a quaint shopping street and if memory serves me right there are a couple of good breakfast places right on Lombard that are within walking distance.

check out sftravel.com
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Columbus Motor Inn is not in the Marina district. It is located on the border of the wharf area and North Beach. I find this a great place, location-wise, much better than on Lombard. It puts you in walking distance of a lot more, besides being more convenient to public transportation. As far as quiet streets, none of trhe hotels uyou mention are on a quiet street.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM

We were just in San Francisco and stayed at the Columbus Inn. The location is great! We were in a family suite which is great for families. Free parking. We walked to the Wharf and china town and other great sites. Considering it is a downtown hotel, it was reasonably quiet. Would stay there again for sure.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:31 AM

this thread is kind of old now, but since I'm facing the same problem I'm dredging it up.

Has anyone stayed at the Coventry? I noticed that no one commented on that motel....it's in the same general location (Lombard at Webster). Is there a reason it doesn't seem to be as popular??
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:54 PM

Hello Pam!
We had the same problem when we visited SF in May. But, thanks to a friend who lives in SF, we found a very nice B&B called Norway House located on the corner of Vallejo Street and Pierce Street (Pacific Haights). The location was perfect! The breakfast superb! And all this in a very beautiful, nice and quiet area. And then just a few blocks away are all the shops and coffeeshops you need. If you want to go downtown or to Fishermans Warf....just take the bus....easy and unexpencive.
Hope you have a nice stay in SF and if you stay at Norway House........say hello to Kjersti (the manager) from me here in Finland.