QUIET accommodation in Savannah?

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUIET accommodation in Savannah?

Would appreciate in-put on very quiet hotel or inn in Savannah. We're light sleepers and have had some terrible nights in Savannah in the past. Street noise has kept us awake (or awakened us at an early hour). Also, walls between rooms have been unusually thin at places we've tried. Help much appreciated!!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I am going to BTT (bump to the top) because this question would be useful to me, too.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM

poss, where have you stayed before? I am also a light sleeper and have experienced the thin-wall problem in so many hotels. Sometimes I've known way more about the folks in the next room than I ever wanted to know!

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Savannah, specifying a room at the back (not on Bay) and it was very quiet.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Have also stayed at Hampton Inn when hotel was reported to be full - no noise problems.

Do not go on 3/17 or 18 because the entire city is noisy for St. Pat's Day
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn and it is very quiet. We had a room in the front and still did not really notice any unusual noise.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for replies (I re-posted because for some reason I couldn't track down this earlier post. sorry..)
Hampton Inn is well-rated on Trip Advisor and others, BUT: there are warnings that the place is not quiet-- thin walls, big noise problems on street side, etc.

Have stayed in Presidents' Quarters several times.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I'm not heading to Savannah or anything, so I can't help you there. But I'm also a light sleeper and don't go anywhere without earplugs to use in a pinch.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

carol - absolutely! Earplugs are a real blessing to light sleepers.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

When things get reeeallly bad, I do use ear-plugs. But I find that I'm very aware of them (have tried many diff kinds), so it's a last resort.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Did you find the President's Quarters to be noisey when you stayed there? I've stayed there twice and did not have any problems with this. I always assumed the staff did a good job of spreading the guests out or that it just wasn't an issue. Maybe we just got lucky?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Have you searched for B&B's on Tybee Island? It's so close, yet away from the hustle and bustle.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Heard lots (LOTS!) of street noise at President's Quarters.
Thanks for Tybee suggestion. We spend plenty of time on beaches, so want to be in town for this trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Stayed at the Hampton Inn historic district (Abercorn & Bay) again and do love it. Built to look like an older building, but new construction with soundproof rooms. No problem with noise at all.

I have stopped staying on River Street because of the riverfront noise.

Someone at the last conference was staying at the Lighthouse B&B on Tybee - but didn't report back regarding noise.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I just read the comments about Hampton Inn. Can't say that I agree at all. I was in a corner room overlooking Bay and Abercorn and had no problems. I just don't agree about thin walls - at all. Request a non-streetside room if you are concerned.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I stayed at the Hilton and there was no noise problem.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Check out The Senator's Gate. http://www.thesenatorsgate.com
Tell Sheila and Mel the theatre couple from Reno told you to visit them. We assure you no disappointments!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM

It seems that a very limited number of visitors to Hampton Inn has noise problems - add me to the list of people who disagree.

Am wondering if other hotels in other cities have caused you problems - I think what happens to some people (me included) is that we just don't sleep as well away from home and consequently minimal extraneous noise is disturbing. Home may or may not be quiet - but we are used to those noises.

The noise in my home from my cats, husband, heating system, etc. would wake me up constantly if I were not used to them. And I always seem to end up next to some bozo who finds it necessary to slam the door several times each night.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM

I suppose my point is that Savannah is full of "historic" buildings - and they come with thin walls, no soundproofing, wooden floors, and lots of squeaks. Hotels that front River Street have the noise from foot traffic - including skateboarders on cobblestone streets at 2 am. THAT's why I don't stay there. If there IS a hotel that has been built in the last 10 years or so with the soundproofing features that cut down on distracting noise, it would be the Hampton Inn and the Doubletree. I didn't recommend the Doubletree because the "back" side fronts City Market.
Holiday Inn - older structure
Hyatt - river front
Planter's Inn - older

You know, the more I think about it, the Westin on the island in the river and the Mansion on Forsyth Park may be looking into. I do know for a FACT that the Hampton Inn's rooms are soundproofed.

Good luck finding a quiet hotel that meets your criteria.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Will try the Hampton (and request room in the back). Very very much appreciate all the in-put.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM

YOu should get a sound or "white noise" machine. I lived in an old duplex and had to get one of these so I wouldn't kill my neighbors! The steady drone of the noise masks the other noises. I always travel with that & earplugs. BTW get the bright orange foamy earplugs -- they work best and are most comfortable. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information