Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Saratoga Springs Baths experience. I thought it was a little strange.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Dan

There have been times in my travels that I've been surprised because something was much different than I anticipated. My recent bath in Saratoga Springs NY may be at the top of that list. I'm not saying it was bad, but not what I expected. And I can't believe people pay so much for this.

After being called from the waiting room I was taken into a room that resembled a locker room of an old NY or Chicago public high school. Complete with rusty stalls and lockers. In my stall was an old cracked rusty bathtub ( I realize the rust is from the minerals in the water.) The attendant who was very nice was running a tub full of lukewarm, almost cool water. During his introduction, he explained they used lukewarm water, although my wife was taking a bath at the same time and said her water was hot. I laid in this water for 20 minutes or so and then the attendant rapped me in a sheet and blanket without drying me, and laid me on a cot for 15 minutes. I've seen this done on the travel channel, so I wasn't surprised, but it didn't do much for me. Maybe because of the cool water? Then it was over.

I don't know what I was expecting. Tiled rooms, hot water, nice architecture and surroundings etc. But if someone pitched this idea to me, showed me a picture of the room and tubs, and asked me if the public would pay a lot of money for it, I'd say no way. I'm not sorry I did it, because the strangeness of it to me is really interesting. But I wouldn't do it again.
I'm wondering what others thought about their visit.

I guess its all about the water.

Dan

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Lori

Dan, that sounds pretty yucky to me. At least they don't bill themselves as "Hot Springs".

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:16 AM
lisa

Dan,

How much did you pay for this cold, locker room bath?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Dan

I think my wife and I paid a toal of $40 dollars because we had somehing added to the water. I seem to recall they started around $16. Like I said my wife's water was hot though. I've also read rave reviews about these baths in several magazines so I want to hear what others thought of their experience.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Kris

Dan,
If you're ever in Hot Springs, Arkansas try the same experience - much better. The National Park Service actually runs the beautiful restored bathouse on the main street there, and it was a great and inexpensive experience. A bit hoaky, but finishing it off with a massage was great.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Linda

Which bathhouse did you go to? I was planning to go this summer and would want to avoid that place.
Thanks.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:25 AM
sn

I do not concur on the Hot Springs, Arkansas report. This was my Hot Springs experience: I was put in an extremely hot bath, told to drink scalding hot spring water while sitting in the bath, wrapped in hot towels after leaving the bath, promptly followed by a trip to the sauna! Needless to say, I was certain I was going to expire by the end of my session....

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:53 PM
msa

I also did that when we lived in Saratoga Springs a few years ago. I don't remember which place I went to...but what you described is exactly like where I was. I had warm water though...not hot, but warm. After the bath the lady wrapped me and then I went for a massage. Then I came back to my little "room" and got to take a nap for a bit. I thoroughly enjoyed it...but maybe because living there I knew somewhat what to expect. The bath houses are very old there...part of the charm in my opinion.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Owen O'Neill

I've nonly gotten the $16.50 bath but the water was always just a bit cooler than body temp and stayed reasonably warm for the entire 20-25 minutes I was in the bath. I was not expecting an earth shattering experience (not implying that you were either) and didn't get one but it was incredibly relaxing. perhaps it's psychological but it may have to do wiht the mineral content of the water or the carbonation bubbles popping against my skini but I always feel amazingly relaxed afterwards and visit them every year when I go to Jazz Fest. No way is it worth $40 but for $16 IMHO it's okay. The Lincoln baths are the only one open at present and they have the "semi-private" baths you describe. The Roosevelt baths had completely private rooms - much nicer but still of the 1930's mental institution school of architecture. Kinda weird but quaint in a peculiar way. I once got the optional massage but it was just okay - not anywhere close to as good as the therapeutic massage I have gotten from massage therapists elsewhere. Sounds to me like they screwed up on the water temp - the springs are naturally hot and they temper them with cold water - a complaint to management would have been in order. There is a fancy day spa in town called the Crystal Springs that is said to offer a much better experience but I just pay my $16 at Lincoln and get on with the day.