Reload this Page >

Relocation Chat Rooms/Websites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 11:22 AM
Diane

Does anyone know of websites that cater to tips on relocation or information on moving to new cities? I'd love to get some advice on moving to the Pacific Northwest, but it seems like posters always get slammed for these type of questions. Are there any other sites that offer more friendly advice? Thanks!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 11:32 AM
xxxx

Try realtor.com.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 11:33 AM
xxxx

Monster.com also has a relocation section. This is a travel forum!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 11:40 AM
Diane

I am well aware that this is a travel forum, but other sources do not provide you with access to actual people who live or travel to these destinations. To be quite honest, if someone doesn't want to answer the questions, then they can simply skip over that posting.

Anyone have any advice on websites that offer chat rooms where I can ask "real" people as opposed to just getting a realtor's canned answer?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:28 AM
Sue

You knew the risk of being slammed so why did you post here. Lighten up honey.

Try parentsplace.com. They have messageboard for various cities in the country. Realtor.com and monster.com should also have messageboards for relocation advice.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:57 AM
Relocator

Just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone in looking for relocation advice. I have found NO sites out there as active as Fodor's and with as much insight. I think if you phrase you rquestion politely and tell people the reason you are asking on a travel forum is because there are many people who live in that area as well as visit that are who frequent this forum you will get genuine help. for instane, I am moving to D.C. this summer and did a post entitled "Help! Living in Washington D.C." I got almost 50 responses and not one was negative or a slam. Thanks to everyone out there, I appreciate all the great help and yes it was most definitely helpful!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Hcw

Diane,
Another testimonial: I used this site for inquiries when I found out last fall that we were moving to Pittsburgh. With one or two exceptions - the same charming folks who seem not to grasp that if you're MOVING to a city, you'll probably need to TRAVEL there a time or two - I got absolutely excellent advice and comments on my wonderful new hometown - including a recommendation for the school at which I enrolled my son. This is the kind of personal, first-hand, interested advice that is unavailable anywhere else on the Internet, at least in my extensive experience. And, as others have noted, if a topic doesn't interest someone, they can just skip it, rather than being derogatory. Good luck in your search!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
Christina

There is a lot of good information on www.homefair.com, I think it has crime statistics, other info on areas, cost of living calculators, etc. I don't think you'll find a good forum/message area for relocation as by nature the people who want answers are temporary until they move, and it would not be very interesting for others who just lived in a place to answer questions for people wanting to move there; I think you'd only get realtors who might have some reason to be there. I think a travel board is the best place to ask questions about neighborhoods, what it's like in an area, etc, it's all about geography and what various places are like, whether you are moving there or only "traveling" for a week and then going home, seems completely irrelevant to me. Who cares if you get people who complain this is a travel board, not relocation; lots of others don't mind at all and will be happy to answer such questions--nobody is holding a gun to the head of anyone forcing them to either read or respond to any post on here. I personally find some of that a lot more interesting discussion than some of the unending simple tourist questions. I really don't think you should care so much about anonymous strangers on a public internet forum telling you they don't want you to post stuff about relocation. Really, why do you even care, these people don't own Fodors.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:54 AM
x

For Larry

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Gary

A relocation forum is definetly needed and wanted!!!!!!!!!!!I could use some help and would be willing to share my thoughts on places that I have lived.