Reload this Page >

Message for Bitter

Search

Message for Bitter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Intrepid

Message for Bitter

I've noticed you have posted several questions on this board asking for opinions on what are not necessarily travel-related questions. These have included credit card debt amongst Europeans and youi've also elicited "opinions" about European forms of government.
With the greatest of respect I have absoutely no objections to your asking these sorts of questions and wouldn't be able to stop you if I did.
But I do feel compelled to ask at this point what is being done with the information you are gathering? Is it for your own private use or are you gathering resource material for a publication or other project?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it matter?

do you care?

I think it's interesting to have a change from "what's the weather like in March" type questions.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM

I have no personal objection to any inquiry but what's good for one should be good for another and life (or fodors) is not necessarily fair. Fodors conduct rules state pretty clearly the following:

"What are the rules of conduct for using the forums?
Fodors.com created Travel Talk as a place for participants to get and share advice about travel. To provide maximum benefit for travelers -- and to ensure that text and subject searches contain useful trip-planning information -- we restrict the discussion to travel. There are numerous venues all over the Web for conversations about politics, world history, and religion, or for parodies and salacious humor. The focus here is travel."

Bitter's query entitled "European political observations" does not belong on this forum as stated above. At the very least, Bitter could have posted in "other" to see if anyone cared to respond.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
AllyPally

I think it is obvious that Intrepid cares (but not, like, caring and sharing) otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to post.

Sounds like research to me.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Intrepid: I've never had my name in a thread-heading before. I certainly don't crave the attention, but thanks for your interest. As I mentioned in one of my two posts, I have been doing a little reading. I know, that's dangerous! That, and the fact that work is a little slow, led me to the posts. I beg to differ with you regarding the travel-relevance of my posts. Granted, I didn't ask what I should wear on a Tuesday in May, while in Paris. But I think questions about social, eco, political issues are relevant to travel. Certainly, travel has helped me become (a little) more aware of the same. I refuse to believe that everyone on this board is just interested in clothing questions, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion about our colleagues. What will I do with this information I'm acquiring? Never thought about that before in the years that I have been posting or reading on this board. Must I use the information? Can't I just be curious and learn from some of our colleagues here? If you must know, I'll probably file some info back in the dark recesses of my mind, and use other tidbits at the library or bookstore. What are you going to do with the information garnered from this post?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM

NYCFoodSnob

Are you gay by any chance?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Intrepid

First of all I appreciate your response.
I also find it very interesting how you've decided that my feelings about your comments being (as I stated it) "not necessarily travel-related" means that I somehow think everyone who posts on this board is only interested in "what should I wear?" questions, etc.
The fact that you could come to that sort of conclusion is quite amazing.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Travelsmiles

At the risk of defending Bitter, I think I will (defend his or her right to post whatever he/she pleases, and let the Fodors monitors do with it as they please).

Yes, NYCFS, you've got the quote right - for that, high marks. But word of caution - you're too neat to ally with some who would agree.

Intrepid, not that your views are necessarily incorrect or irrelevant - but haven't you noticed that a few of the frequent posters have taken it upon themselves to begin issuing edicts and guidelines for the rest to follow? Perhaps there are proprietary feelings creeping into some of their consciousness. There are often a nexus of emoticons, artfully in full color.

I'd prefre to see Bitter post whatever and less postings by the very correct brood who apparently see themselves as trend setters and school marms.

IMHO.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Intrepid: Hold your amazement: I stated: "I refuse to believe that everyone on this board is just interested in clothing questions, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion about our colleagues." I did not say you "think everyone who posts on this board is only interested in 'what should I wear?'" I may have intimated, in good fun, but made no assertion as to what your opinion is, just that you are entitled thereto. We might find it telling, though, that you read my post the way you did

NYC: Please email the editors and have my posts deleted at once. They are as irrelevant as inquiries about fashion and fiction books and must be purged.

Allypally: Sounds like research? Isn't that what most of us do on this forum? Am I going to use it for some illicit purpose? Hardly.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 09:13 AM

I'm reading this thread and a bit surprised. A constant message I hear (and agree with), is that the more you know of your destination, the more you will get out of it. If someones personal interests in travel lean toward politics and economics as opposed to castles and ruins, who has the right to say they cannot post what interests them. And of course, the old stand by holds true; don't reply if it is not your interest.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Bitter, allow me to reiterate..."I have no personal objection to any inquiry..." and I wouldn't waste my time writing to the editors to complain about anything (well, almost). I'm sure there will be plenty of others who'll take care of that. I usually respect "rules" unless I wake up one morning and feel like breaking some. In some of my earlier responses I had a tendency to call some people by their correct name, "idiot." But fodors eds (and others) probably felt that was name calling and rude which are against the rules. So, I'm a little less direct now. And I'm still "bitter" that my Saucony thread got killed while Nike runs rampant. Now that's a rip-off! Enjoy your name-in-the-title moment, however brief it lasts.

And, 3 times UK, yes, like Marilyn, I'm gay. Feel better now?

To everyone else, write what the hell you want. It's only a travel forum anyway.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Travelsmiles

Oh, FoodSnob, I'm not gay, but what the hell do the little things matter when we have the big ones in common! Can you believe, I too wear Saucony - and at the gym I am pursued because they desire my elegantly shod feet. You are similarly attired, it is thrilling. And we share a love of wine and the appropriate approach to it as well. In another life, we may have been related ... perhaps fellow house cats, living in some lovely italian hilltop town.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Bitter
I for one enjoy your posts. There are a lot of "frequent fliers" here and it is nice to talk about other things besides hotel rooms, splitting appetizers in Italy and fanny packs. I hope you will continue to contribute in the same style you always have!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Travelsmiles, I'm so gullible. You sure do read like PCH. Did you go and change your name? Just to be clear, I'm not gay and neither is Marilyn. She sure is a great sport, though. I wish I could join her for her SF fodors party. I'm sure it will be loads of fun. Btw, I'm a Leo, which means I'm the Lioness and I rule my jungle just as I probably ruled that Italian hill town we shared back in another life. Frankly, I can't keep pets. With all my travel projects, I can barely keep a plant alive and I love green. Oh well.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Travelsmiles

FoodSnob, you've a sharp eye! I'd love to hit the SF GTG as well - I'll be a few hundred south but can't break free of the PCH. Well, what do you know - I'm an August baby too, very Leo, but the kind who tries to ease the grrrrs and boost the smiles. Well, about the gayness, just being gullible as well, I suppose, not that it's especially relevant one way or another. Either way, I'll look at my Sauconys at the gym tonight and smile. Take care, and go Yankees.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Whoo-hoo! I'm <i>going,</i> to the SF GTG and I'm a Capricorn.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Travelsmiles

Will be thinking of you guys the 18th - have fun.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:35 PM
beanbag

What's being gay have to do with travel?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Travelsmiles

Or for that matter, a beanbag with photography?

The answer may be nothing, and then again, it may be everything.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Can't you all read? This is a &quot;Message for Bitter&quot; thread. You are supposed to be talking about me, not talking about each other or some get-together! Ok, at first I was a little embarrassed by all of the attention, but I now crave it! If you are going to hijack my first marquis thread, at least pay me some lip service along the way. Don't make me register a new name and start a thread asking &quot;Where's Bitter?&quot; In all seriousness (?) thanks for the comments Calamari, Travelsmiles, Jor and others. I enjoy the discussions, arguments and sarcasm on this site (oh, yeah, and the info).