Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do I Get the Eurostar to London from CDG?

Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

After arriving at CDG airport how do I get to station Nord to catch the Eurostar to London? Also, is there an ATM in CDG after I pass customs?

Thanks so much,
Chris

Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:49 PM

Why don't you take the TGV from CDG to London? You change trains in Lille, but that would be easier and cheaper than getting to Gare de Nord.

www.sncf.com shows the times.

There are ATM's scattered about CDG airport.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:20 PM

The TGV doesn't run to London, but I think what indytravel means is to take the TGV direct from CDG to Lille, and then switch to the Eurostar from Lille to London Waterloo. Right? A much better idea than transferring to Gare Nord if the rates are good.
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Another option would simply be to fly on EasyJet from CDG to London (Luton).

Hope this helps,
Andre
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the clarification Patrick. You're right, you switch from the TGV in Lille to the Eurostar for the rest of the trip to London.

I like Andre's idea too. You could probably get a lot cheaper advance fare on Easyjet than the Eurostar.

Keep in mind your total cost. Luton is north of London. When I check rail connections it's 12 to 16 pounds per person to take the train from Luton Airport to London Bridge with a change at Kentish Town station.
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Indytravel,

Train service from Luton Airport Parkway station to London (Kings Cross Thameslink) is actually direct, frequent and quite fast (about 1/2 hour). Plus you get a discount if you purchase your tix at the same time as you book your EasyJet flight - the fare is 8 or 9 pounds each way depending on how early you book. Check out:
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/where/ltn.html

HOWEVER, there is construction currently going on (scheduled to end in July 04) which will make the trains less practical on weekends and on some weeknights as they will terminate at Kentish Town instead of running right through London.

Train timetables & info are at:
www.thameslink.co.uk

Info on the construction:
http://www.thameslink.co.uk/allchange/

Hope this helps,
Andre
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Wow, that's great info, I wish I had those tips when I booked the trip. I'm flying into CDG and am already booked on the Eurostar from Nord to London. How far is it from CDg to Nord? Is it just a quick taxi ride or are there shuttles?
Thanks,
Chris
Oct 6th, 2003, 03:53 AM

Don't count 100% on the ATMs in CDG. The computers could be down or the machines could be out of cash (real-life example: a strike by the drivers of the trucks that supplied the cash to the ATMs). So take a small emount of euros with you, enough to get you to Gare du Nord (take about 50 euros just in case your plane is late, you're pressed for time, and you have to take a taxi to the train station).
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:00 AM

There's an RER (souped-up metro) from T2 at CDG to the Gare du Nord. Takes about 35 minutes: goes up to every 5 mins, though less offpeak.
About 8 Euros
Oct 7th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Vincent

Just for the record, going through Lille wouldn't have been practical, since it would have meant changing stations in Lille, form Lille-Flandres to Lill-Europe. OK, they are in the same neighborhood, abut it's quite a trek come what may.

The RER is the only, quickest, cheapest option from CDG to Gare du Nord. It's true there are frequent trains, but if you are not too time pressed, make sure to choose a DIRECT train, ie one that does not stop between CDG and Gare du Nord, I think they come every 15 mn. This RER line normally stops at some of the roughest neighborhoods in France and, even though, to my knowledge, nothing ever happened to a tourist, the atmosphere could be a bit tense. By taking a direct train, you'll be safe. When you arrive in Gare du Nord, you'll be in the suburban part of the station, but the Eurostar terminal is well sign-posted. Again, be sure your wallet is in a safe place. And, of course, if you land at Terminal 1, you'll have to take a shuttle to access the RER station. From Terminal 2, you just walk to the station.

Oct 7th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Just curious--why didn't the OP fly to London direct. I can't conceive of a fare to Paris that would be so cheap that the Eurostar trip would be economical. Plus ALL the transfers.
And I would add, don't take the RER if you have any significant luggage to carry/roll.
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Don't sweat the Euros, particularly if you prepaid your travel to London and do not plan to return to the continent. You can use a credit card to buy your RER ticket.