Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2nd Try! Still Looking for Great Hot Springs in Western States!

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd try asking again.
I'm looking for some places to stay that may be comparable to what we're used to in Desert Hot Springs, CA. (We have a condo there, but also occasionally stay at Miracle Springs for the pools and massage)Looking for low key, no crowds, soothing mineral pools. We are NOT interested in clothing optional, or places that cater to alternate lifestyle.(I only state this because many places seem to offer this atmosphere and it doesn't fit with our needs.) I've tried a few places on our travels and haven't found the place that seems to fit. One well known site in Colorado was extremely large and crowded, some hot springs have not been very well kept or the pools maintained as well as they could have been, and some of the sites are a little too primitive for us. We're not that picky, DHS is not a fancy area itself,but just haven't found someplace I'd call comparable.
I'm hoping some of you have some good suggestions.
Thanks very much!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Check out Strawberry park just outside Steamboat Springs CO. We did this hot spring last Feb and it was really amazing at night. Clothes are optional after dark but it is SO dark, you won't know anyway. It is not large and there are several pools of varying temps. Not sure what your definition of primitive is but this one may be a little too primitive for you. We loved it becasuse it was more like bathing in a mountain river w/hot springs and not at all like a huge concrete public bath. UGH!
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jette- I'll look into it- the las primitive sight we found was outside Brawley, CA- found several nice older naked men reading in a small oasis in the middle of nowhere. A little too primitive for my blood, and you just felt like you were crashing in on their "own private Idaho", if you know what I mean. Very interesting location.
My ideal spot has a hotel complete with a strong swedish masseuse !
Thanks again.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Jayne1973

Some people I know like this place:

http://www.ojocalientespa.com/

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:54 PM

You could try Sycamore Springs, near San Luis Obispo/Avila Beach.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I hope this isn't the place you already tried and didn't like in Colorado, but I really like Pagosa Springs. There are several different pools of various temperatures, and it wasn't crowded the last time I went with my family. (We soaked in the pools as it snowed around us in June!) There is a decent motel at the springs, which are right next to the very pretty San Juan River. The views of the mountains around the continental divide are beautiful. Lodging at the motel includes admission to the springs.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Yeah! I'm so glad to have such great responses!
Can't wait to check them all out.
The place we didn't care for was actually Glenwood Springs in Colorado. It was HUGE and PACKED!

Thanks again- hope to see more replies.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM

I've heard good things about Strawberry Hill near Steamboat. A friend of mine is going to Mount Princeton which is west of Colorado Springs, I think it's South of Buena Vista. Not sure how nice it is but that's another place with Hot Springs/Hotel in Colorado.