Notices

Santa Fe accommodation advice

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM
IF
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Fe accommodation advice

I'm heading to Santa Fe at the end of the month and will be spending my days skiing and the nights soaking up the atmosphere in downtown, but I have no idea where the best location will be for us to stay.

I would like somewhere that is walking distance from downtown as I am assuming that this is where we will find a range of restaurants for dinner and things to do in the late afternoon, but don?t want to be so far into town that it will be a pain to get up to the slopes every day.

Ideally, we would like to stay somewhere for under US$100 a night. I have had a good search on many websites and am still at a loss for accommodation in this price range.

Help please ...

Thanks!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Sunnyboy

It's been three years since I was in Santa Fe but even back then there wasn't anything within walking distance of downtown that was anywhere close to $100 per night. You are talking at least twice that amount. You can find accomodations from about $75 and up if you are willing to stay on the outskirts.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Sunnyboy that you're going to have a tough time finding a place downtown (essentially walking distance to the the plaza) for $100/night. He's right. Think twice that.

10-15 minutes drive or so outside of the plaza area on Cerrillos Road is the gamut of chain hotels and I think you'll easily find a place in your price range there.

Santa Fe is just not that big a town. I can't imagine your path to the slopes will be that far from anywhere you stay.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the others, Santa Fe is a very expensive resort town -- hotels are much more expensive than you might expect. I can't imagine any hotel in Santa Fe for that rate except a real dive. I would say that the reason you can't find rooms in that rate is because there aren't any.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:54 PM
IF
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys - appreciate the replies. Will look for something a little further out of town then.

IF
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a hotel with in about 3 blocks of the plaza called Garrets Desert Inn. It runs about 100 a night for a double. It is with in walking distance of Canyon Road and the Plaza. It is a very simple hotel, but has always been clean, with comfortable beds and a great bath/shower after a day of walking. It is across the street from the Pink Adobe and down the street from the Guadalupe. We live in Albuquerque and tend to stay there and are able to park and walk all over the city easily. Even b&b's in this area of town are pricey. Hope you will enjoy this!

Regards,

Julie

PS. Check out promusica.com if you like classical music and what might be playing at the Loretto Chapel, also about a block away. The Lensic and the Santa Fe Play house are with in a couple of blocks too - lensic more like a 15 minute walk.
J!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM
IF
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some good ideas. Thank you.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I have been to Santa Fe three times in the last four years, the last time was briefly this summer. We love it and want to retire there but it is very expensive. We always end up staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Cerillos Rd. because downtown is so expensive but I recently was looking for a hotel on Hotwire and Priceline and I think it might be worth checking into one of those to see if you could get a deal near the plaza area. Also, check out the Marriott Residence Inn, I think it is downtown and you have some extras like effieciency kitchens from what I remember. If you are going to ski, then Cerillos Rd. will not be conveniant because the traffic is really busy, especially during typical rush hour times. We always take a drive up to the ski basin and the road to go up there is basically right in the downtown area, so it would be ideal for you to stay downtown. You can add another 20 minutes to your drive at least if you stay on Cerillos Rd., depending on how far south on it you stay. And if you have not been to the Santa Fe Plaza before, it is really great and in your words "atmospherequot; is right on!!!!