Reload this Page >

San Antonio Nightlife

Search

San Antonio Nightlife

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:18 PM
T.H.

San Antonio Nightlife

Spending two days in S.A. Staying on the Riverwalk. Looking for suggestions on restaurants (not touristy) and other things to do (bars, clubs, tours, etc...).

Thinking about eating at Boudors, La Margarita, Mi Tierra...any other suggestions? or reasons why we should go someplace else. How about good seafood?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Christie

If you have access to a car, DEFINITELY go do the Mission Trail. This is a self-guided tour of the five missions that were the beginnings of San Antonio. Be sure and bring some water with you, and possibly a picnic lunch.

Midnight Rodeo is a popular club. It's out near 410 and I-10 on the north side. They have a mechanical bull, too.

San Antonio is unfortunately not known for good seafood...

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Seamus

Definitely eat at Boudro's - it's terrific. Take a pass on Mi Tierra unless you're really into average Tex Mex food in a tourist trap environment. La Margarita isn't a whole lot better. If you want some good Mexican, try Paloma Blanca on Broadway or La Fonda on Main (but only the one on Main - the other two called La Fonda are nowhere near as good). Both would require a car or taxi from the Riverwalk but aren't too far away. Rosario's is just south of downtown and is also good, if a bit noisy. For seafood, try Pappadeaux's on Loop 410 between North Star mall and the airport. Paesano's on the river is good Italian and usually has seafood specials. The Shrimp Paesano is a local favorite - lightly floured and sauteed, in a lemon garlic cream sauce.
For clubs, if it's dance you want go to the Bonham Exchange, the best dance floor in town. Started as a gay club years ago but has gone mainstream.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Cindy

A Great Piano Bar for fun and excitement is Howl at the Moon. It is a blast. Also on the Riverwalk there is an Irish Pub called Dirty Nellies Irish Pub and that is a fun time. We also did dinner on the Riverwalk cruise which wasnt too bad.
Good Luck!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Christie

Durty Nellie's is OK, but it tends to get very, very crowded and it is not a big place. Having been to Ireland, it's also a poor imitation of an Irish pub...

Pappadeaux is a CHAIN restaurant, so it is the same menu that you can get at any of their locations.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:13 AM
ann

I agree that Boudros is awesome! Paesano's is very mediocre! San Antonio doesn't have good seafood- sorry! Paloma Blanca is the absolute best tex mex in the city!! For Mexican, go to Los Barrios. The most authentic, with the least amount of tourists- not a hole in the wall, however. Mi Tierra is not very good, and very touristy. La Margarita is the same- same owners. For fine dining go to La Mansion Del Rio hotel on the Riverwalk and eat at Las Canarias. WONDERFUL! The Presidio is good too. Please stay away from Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood! Bad food- bad service. Howl at the Moon is fun, but gets crowded early. Have a great time!!!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Karen

Landray's (sp?) on the Riverwalk was our favorite restuarant. They had some good seafood specials while we were there in May. We also liked the German deli just off the Riverwalk at street level. Sorry I can't remember the name. The Rhinesteak house was also very good but a little expensive.

Dirty Nelly's was small and got quite crowded as the other poster said. We like the Jazz club down the walk from there.

Have fun.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM
t.h.

WOW! Appreciate all of the responses.

Question? Are Paloma Blanca, Los Barrios, Las Canarias and The Presidio on the Riverwalk. We will not have a car. Although, I understand the trolly is convenient.

Thanks again....

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Cheryl

Landry's is a chain which also owns Joe's Carb Shack and a couple of others. I am not usually into chain's when I go on vacation - I like original places with fantastic seafood, etc.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Cheryl

Oops - meant Crab Shack not Carb Shack. Wonder if that is a freudian slip with all of my weight loss efforts at cutting those buggers out of my diet