Search

San Antonio Restaurant Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio Restaurant Recommendations

Hello!

We are traveling to San Antonio at the beginning of April for 5 nights. I am looking for restaurant recommendations. We are renting a car so we can go anywhere. We like American, Mexican, Tex Mex, Greek, etc. We are not too fond of any kind of Asian food.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't remember the name of the good Mexican restaurant along the Riverwalk. http://riosanantonio.com/rivertours/
We had a nice table outside next to the water. You don't have to walk too far from the Riverwalk area to get a big variety of restaurants. You may not need a car.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 02:37 PM

Texas Land and Cattle Co below the Drury Inn along the riverwalk. Ate there last year had the smoked sirloin melt in your mouth good.Lone star cafe,landry's seafood,casa rio to name a few are all good. If with kids the buckhorn saloon is worth going to as it also has a museum. Drinks Bier Garten has local beers on draft,also across from Alamo is the Menger hotel bar where Teddy Roosevelt had drinks in the rough rider days.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 03:33 PM

For casual, tasty, cheap vegetarian, we like Green. They have 2 locations.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 06:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A big +1 for Green Vegetarian. The Pearl Brewery location is along The Riverwalk a couple miles from downtown. You will like it even if you are not vegetarians.

We were somewhat disappointed in the food at the several Tex Mex places we tried (have had better in Arizona or even near home in Colorado), but the vibe at Mi Tierra and La Margarita in Market Square was fun. No doubt there is delicious Tex Mex to be had, but we didn't hit the right place.

For BBQ we had an nice time at County Line, right on the downtown Riverwalk.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 06:52 AM

Absolutely LOVE Boudro's on the Riverwalk for upscale Mexican
http://boudros.com/
Certainly not your typical Riverwalk TexMex!

And we had a fantastic dinner at Biga on the Banks. I had a venison and quail combo which was simply fantastic. Peter had an amazing bouillabaisse filled with wonderful seafood. Wonderful service and atmosphere upstairs overlooking the Riverwalk.
http://biga.com/
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO much!!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 01:19 PM
OO

I like Boudros too, and agree that the vibe at Mi Tierra and La Margarita (and in El Mercado in general) is fun. Our very favorite Mexican/Tex-Mex in SA is Rosarios. It is walkable from the Riverwalk area, but better for most people to drive. Parking is difficult with that restaurant, but you can usually find a place close by across the street in the King William District. Be sure you take a drive down the prettiest of the streets, also named King William, in that historic district. I love that area, and it's a spot most tourists never see, unfortunately.

Also in that area is the Guenther House, located at the old Pioneer Flour Mill. The house was built by the Guenther family in the 1850, and serves a lovely breakfast or lunch, both downstairs and in the garden behind the house. There is parking for the restaurant off S Alamo St just after you cross the river. It'd be great to go there for breakfast then maybe take a walk up King William St to look at some of the beautiful old restored homes.

I saw your thread on Tampa beaches too, and have to mention that Spring Break will still be in full swing while you are here. That means that a drive that can take 40 minutes on a normal weekend, can easily be an hour or more, but Clearwater Beach is beautiful, and getting prettier all the time. Leave yourself plenty of time though to get back to the airport!
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 02:56 PM

In no particular order...

Soluna in Alamo Heights - 7959 Broadway (Mexican)

Esquire Tavern on the Riverwalk - 155 E. Commerce (Upscale tavern fare, amazing drinks)

Augie's BBQ - 909 Broadway (BBQ)

Josephine Street Grill - 400 E Josephine (American)

La Fonda on Main - 2415 N Main (Mexican)

If you want to have a beer with the locals, put on your shorts and flip-flops and head to either The Friendly Spot (943 S Alamo) or La Tuna (100 S Probandt). The food is better at La Tuna (get the fish tacos) and you sit outside under the oak trees to eat & have a cold one. Kids are welcome.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 02:39 AM

The Mexican food on the river walk is Tex-Mex. But if you want some good Mexican food downtown go to Rosario's at 910 S Alamo. It's the best we have had in San Antonio. If you like ribs the County Line on the riverwalk is very good.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 02:40 AM

I agree about Texas Land and Cattle Co.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 04:24 AM

Jacala Mexican Restaurant
http://jacala.com/

Wonderful Tex-Mex cuisine. Family owned and operated since 1949.

Old May 10th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Greek: you can't beat Demos--I personally like the one on St.Mary's

Mexican: on Broadway (in Alamo Heights) - Betos and Picante Grill

I also second Rosario's--I also love Los Barrios for the authentic San Antonio Tex-Mex experience, also dirt cheap and delicious. Taco Taco is also amazing.