Salem Mass. hotel advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arranging a trip for a group of my friends and myself and need advice on hotels. Has anyone stayed at either the Hawthorne Hotel, Salem Inn, or the Best Western Waterfront. We expect to pay 150-$200 per night for a weekend in October. We would like the hotel to be in walking distance of the museums and sites. Any advice for our first trip to Salem would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Hey smack--

We stayed in Salem for a night about a year ago. Didn't have reservations, just ended up there after a day of driving. While most of the hotels were booked, we found a nice B&B that was both close in, and reasonable. I can't recall the name, but it was actually at the far end of the parking lot of the Hawthorne Hotel. I bet if you did a yellow pages search for B&Bs you can figure it out. As I recall, there were only 3-4 B&Bs listed.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:10 PM

I've stayed at the Salem Inn numerous times and The Hawthorne a couple times. The Hawthorne is more central than the Salem Inn. The Best Western was supposed to open on Oct.4 but I don't know if it did. It would also be more central. However, the Salem Inn isn't very far from the center of town.
Check tripadvisor for reviews, I prefer the Salem Inn but if you're not a B&B person then I wouldn't recommend it. The furnishings are better at The Hawthorne and the restaurant and bar are very nice. I do believe however that all options will be over $200 in Oct.
Good Luck!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice. Since have found out Hawthorne is booked, Salem is taking reservations starting today and BW doesn't take reservations intil 1/1.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM

I meant to add that you can look for accommodations on salemweb.com. Pappy, is the B&B that you refer to The Susannah Flint House?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Are you familiar with the Susannah Flint, Tudorprincess? If so, do you know if they have a website?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Don't have any recommendations for a place to stay. But I do have one for lunch! A couple of months ago we had lunch at Stromberg's in Salem. It was fantastic! Great clam chowder. I had one of the specials for the day which was lemon-pepper swordfish kabobs. Our son had clam strips and my husband had a huge bowl of steamed mussels. Really good and really reasonable.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:05 AM

I've only seen the Suzannah Flint House from the outside. It's at the end of the parking lot of the Hawthorne as Pappy said. Their website is www.suzannahflinthouse.com.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:46 AM

That name doesn't ring a bell, but that does not mean that that isn't it. If that's the name of the B&B at the far end of the Hawthorne parking lot, then, I would say that, yes, that must be it.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation, Caph. I will try it while I am there.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Eat at Grapevine or Strega - both wonderful restaurants with great food and atmosphere!!!