Search

Schenectady hotel help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
d
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schenectady hotel help needed

Going to visit my brother who is attending RPI. We have tickets to a show at Proctor's Theatre and was thinking we could stay in Schenectady after the show. Any suggestions on a decent hotel and any restaurant recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:45 AM

Check out the Parker Inn, located directly adjacent to Proctors Theater. www.parkerinn.com for info. It was the site of an old hotel that was just recently completely refurbished. For dinner, Parisi's Restaurant, which is just a few blocks away, is very good. Also, the Stockade Inn, located in the historic Stockade District, is excellent. Both are close by.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:53 AM

The Parker Inn is a nice looking boutique hotel, but seriously overpriced, imho. If downtown Schenectady ever experiences its long awaited renaissance, I'd stay in a heartbeat.

I'd suggest the Glen Sanders Mansion, just over the Mohawk River in Scotia for a nice place to stay and/or eat. If you stay there, you might also check out the Turf Tavern.

If staying in Schenectady, the Holiday Inn on Nott Terrace is walking distance to Proctors and has an indoor pool/Holidome. Parisi's is a good suggestion for downtown. Or you might try Cornells in the recently developed "Little Italy". Less expensive would be an Indian Restaurant on Jay Street (a stone's throw from Proctors) ... recenly renamed I think it's now Taj Mahal. If you wish just a good hearty sandwich in a local pub atmosphere, try Slicks Tavern at Ferry & Libery Streets. Try to take in the Stockade area while you're in town.

Speaking of the Stockade, there is at least 1 B&B there, the "English Garden" in a circa 1775 historic home. The Stockade Inn that sharondi suggested might have B&B type rooms available too, I'm not sure. It was once the "Mohawk Club", a "stuffy" old club primarily serving General Electric (and other corporate) executives.

If you are trying to economize do NOT even consider the Econolodge on State St. There is a Days Inn on Nott Terrace that's OK, and if you wish to travel just over the city line, I can suggest the Belvedere, a boutique hotel in Rotterdam owned by the Mallozzi's, who operate the fine restaurant next door by the same name. Also in Rotterdam are a Quality Inn (with indoor pool) and a Super8.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM

we stayed at the Days Inn on nott terrace and it was ok. Convenient to freeway
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
d
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. rb--you've been a great help again as always!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:47 AM

I'll give you a bit more info, "D". The main building (but not the rooms section) of the Glen Sanders Mansion is in a 1700's building, and the site is along the Mohawk River. You could (but probably wouldn't) walk over to Proctors from there.

Now a small disclaimer: I work parttime, just for the fun of it, at the Q.I. in Rotterdam. I'd almost do it for free! The employee rate I get at other Choice hotels help, but mostly I just enjoy helping guests.

I didn't realize you were the same person who made some trips to our area last summer.