Paul's Motor Inn

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Meagain

Paul's Motor Inn

Has anyone stayed here? I found it on travelocity and on expedia for C$62 per night.
Or, should we go Best Western Carlton for C$152?

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:25 AM
April

Paul's has been around a long time and should be fine (I've never stayed there but the lobby looks ok) if you don't mind being across town from the main attractions. It has a plain-food restaurant and there is a White Spot across the street. Someone here mentioned feeling a bit creepy walking back to their hotel at night and they were staying at a Traveller's Inn across the street from Paul's. But if you're driving this wouldn't be an issue. I don't think I'd feel any less creepy at night in the location of the Carlton though, which is right downtown. It's more upscale than Paul's but for $152 I would look for something else.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Meagain

Thanks for your reply. (Most places seemed in the high price range, so I was a liitle nervous!)
I think Paul's was mentioned on other posts too but I couldn't find it using the SEARCH option.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
April

Did you try the Best Western Inner Harbour, or Days Inn Inner Harbour? Or the Quality Inn Downtown (not as nice a location) or, further out of town, the Accent Inn to name a few.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:32 PM
April

Actually I talked to someone who had stayed at Paul's - granted some years ago - and they described it as a little shabby.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:02 AM
Catherine

Hi April,
Confession time....I'm finally brave enough to post under my real name, but can't use my email address. You have been so nice replying to all my questions, that I felt bad using a fictitous name.
Thanks for the suggestions. I phoned the B Western Carlton yesterday, it has rooms for $199 and $229!! Inner Harbour is full for the dates I want. The Royal Scot has a 2-bedroom suite for $329. Most of the other places seem to be booked up. Aargh! I'm not positive about Paul's, my instinct tells me with that low a rate compared to the other places, it is probably basic at best. I've put a feeler out to a kid friendly B&B, can't remember the name now and I'm at the office! Hopefully they'll send back something good. Otherwise I'm just going to bite the bullet and spend the money somewhere I'll be comfortable. With the exchange rate it won't be quite so horrendous, but it's still a good chunk of the holiday budget, that is what's left over after paying the airfares. Plus, we are going in the high season. The way the hotels are filling up, I think I should just book at any place I like now.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:52 AM
April

Hi Catherine. Not to worry - my address is real but my name isn't.

Those prices are awful. Have you tried the Admiral Inn? Or the Ramada Huntingdon? Helm's Inn is quite old but is in a great location. Otherwise, staying out of town a bit would probably be less expensive.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:34 AM
traveller

Victoria in the summer is expensive but I would not recommend going without a reservation. Something that you have all ready gleaned.

Victoria has a lot of conventions and other organized events that take up a lot of rooms in addition to the tourist traffic. But you never know, you can sometimes get a great room or suite for a huge reduction in price, if the city isn't booked. I have been able to book suites at beautiful inns right on the harbour for less than $150/Cdn a night but that wasn't during the prime tourist season. And, I have travelled there several times during prime time and not been able to find a single room and ended up sharing with travelling partners in Sidney. You just never know.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Royal Scot. It is from what I understand (from my daughter who has stayed there after her trek on the West Coast Trail), a wonderful place.

Good luck and let us know what you chose and how it goes.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Daniel

You might try using Priceline.com. Some people have reported problems using it but I've saved literally thousands of dollars using it many times. There is a site called biddingfortravel.com that gives advice on using Priceline and people also post their winning Priceline bids there to assist others. I took a look at it and noticed that people have been getting the Empress hotel for between $70 and $80 during the summer. The downside is that once your bid is accepted, your credit card is immediately charged and you can't change your mind. If your plans are certain, however, I'd consider giving it a try.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:55 PM
Daniel

Sorry, I should have made clear that the Priceline prices I referred to are in US, not Canadian dollars.

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:21 PM
Catherine

Thanks everyone. I got a 2-bedrm suite at Days Inn for C$152!! It's got 2 queen beds in the bdrm and a queen pull-out in the living room, plus kitchen and balcony. So I'm very happy. I had looked it up last night and it was showing full, but called this morning and got what I wanted for the dates I wanted!
Now I have to find something in Vancouver for one night. (Here we go again....!)

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:05 PM
April

Is that the Days Inn on the Harbour (Belleville St.)? If so, it has a great location close.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:41 AM
Catherine

It's the Days Inn Victoria Waterway.
The pictures of the rooms on the website looked ok, nothing flash but we don't need that. What is nice is the balcony where we can sit after the kids are asleep. And having a kitchen. I hate having to go to the restaurant for my first cup of coffee!