Scenic Drives - VT/NH

Search

Scenic Drives - VT/NH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic Drives - VT/NH

Can anyone recommend some scenic drives (preferably off the beaten path) during foliage season in NH or VT? This is for a trip next year, and we will be based in Stowe, then Jackson, NH then Woodstock.

Or if you have any books you could recommend, that would be great too.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Nearly every back road will have some very nice scenery. Are you talking about Woodstock Vt or NH? The drive from Woodstock Vt to Barnard Vt is a very scenic one. The drive from Woodstock Vt to Sugarbush Farm is also quite nice. NH and VT are laced with many small roads (some are gravel) that wind thru the mountains and past farms tucked away from the main roads. Don't be afraid to explore!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I agree totally with zootsi. I was navigator for two TSD (Time Speed Distance) road rallies in VT in the fall, and the routes were simply beautiful. Every corner we turned, we were amazed at what we were seeing. [About 70% of the routes were gravel, and be aware of frost in the fall.

In fact, if you're interested in such adventures, you can arrange your trip to participate in the SCCA's "Covered Bridge Rally" each fall. No special skills or equipment required.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM

I third the motion. Just about every place is beautiful, including the major highways. Most bookstores in New England carry a Atlas and Gazetteer published by DeLorme. There is one for each state. ALL the roads are listed. Be sure to check the road legend because the double dash line is a primitive road which is a separate category from an unimproved road which is still not as good as a graded and drained road. Last summer we hunted down a homemade ice cream and cheese shop that was well off the beaten path in Sandwich NH. It had been listed in a local newspaper story about very small commercial creameries. We stopped twice to watch black bears. One was grazing in a yard. Another crossed the road in front of us then sat in the bushes looking at us. I couldn't even point out the best tree to look at because next year it might drop its leaves early without achieving the brilliant color of the previous year. Like the others suggested, polish up your meandering skills with a couple of targets each day. Simon Pearce in Queechee (near Woodstock VT) is my current favorite place for lunch because the food is great and the building is wonderful. Not to mention having a table overlooking the waterfall. My husband would vote for a drive thru apple orchard country where the scent of cider making fills the air and reminds him of his childhood. There are so many scenic drives you are sure to find some on your own.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I lived in those two states for a number of years... it's hard to go wrong, especially in the fall! As mentioned above even the highway in VT is beautiful (there is a ban so no billboard advertising along the roadside). I know and love Brattleboro best, from there you could head due west or straight north (I forget the road numbers) and turn off any place you see a covered bridge to reach gravel or dirt roads thru the countryside. Stop and buy pumpkins, apples, cider, maple syrup.