Running in the NYU area?

Search

Running in the NYU area?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running in the NYU area?

My daughter, an avid runner, is looking at colleges. Is there a decent/safe place to run near the NYU area?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM

NYU dorms are spread all over lower Manhattan now, so it really depends on where you are talking about. NYU has a gym center with rooftop track. Many people run around Washington Square Park or Union Square Park. Many people run along the Hudson River. It's difficult to predict which would be most convenient for her. All are safe. though I wouldn't run along the river in the dark.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

It's actually Cooper Union where she's applying, but I figured many people, even NYers, might not be familiar with it. It's located around E 7th and 3rd Ave.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cooper Union students are not permitted to use the areas mentioned in ellenem's post. She'll just have to find somewhere else.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM

Cingrats on admittance to Cooper Union. We live in the neighborhood and it is safe.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

Sounds like she hasn't gotten into Cooper yet so congrats are a little early. What about joining a local gym, like a NY Sports where she can probably get a student discount? There are gyms all over the city.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Well anyone can run in Washington Square Park (although Union Square strikes me as being awfully crowded for running). If she heads downtown there's nice walk along the river at Battery Park City.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM

I believe Cooper Union students are specifically excluded from running in Washington Square Park, as they are from the various parks on the Hudson River. They are expected to run in Tompkins Square Park and utilize the recreational facilities of the East River.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM

I don't think Cooper Union has a gym, but with four years of excellent tuition-free education, a private gym membership during the winter months should be very affordable.

DS did two summer internships there; it's a good place in a great location.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM

I'm sorry-but how the heck would ANYONE know if someone running along the Hudson River goes to Cooper Union? There are thousands of people who run along the bike path all the time and no one "cards" them!! That sounds ridiculous.

Fra-Diavolo-where are you getting your information and please prove this to be true if it is, because it sounds totally bogus.

I live in NYC, BTW, and I walk all over the place and no one has ever told me I can't. People blend in everywhere.

Barry-I believe there is NY Runners club. I'd have her look into that and also she can run in Central Park. THEY DON'T KEEP COOPER KIDS OUT OF THE PARK!!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM

It is true that Cooper Union kids are permitted to run in Central Park, as are their peers at NYU, Columbia, Fordham and Pace. (Of course CUNY students may run anywhere). By common agreement, however, Cooper Union Students are expected to keep to the east side of Manhattan, and NYU students to the west. While it seldom turns ugly, it would be unwise to transgress. While a portion of WSP falls on the east side, NYU's dominant real estate holdings in that area count "considerable."

New School kids are asked to stay north of WSP, and Parson's kids are afraid of their shadows, and run, if at all, in circles in a local churchyard. Yeshiva kids usually use the new paths at Government Island.

Skiergirl --

I am amazed that this balkanization of the college running agreements has escaped your notice. Luckily, BarryK decided to come clean on his daughter's true ambitions, and thus enabled me to distinguish between those whose residence centers on Fifth Avenue, and those on Third. It seems to me that the free tuition at Cooper Union more than compensates for the reduced running area. I have also heard rumors that Gramercy Park may issue all Cooper Union students complimentary keys "for aerobic exercise only," which should go a long way towards assuaging any resentment they may feel at being excluded from WSP, which, at any rate, is torn up at present.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM

I went to Cooper Union. No gym. Hardly a campus. She'll have to stick to the parks and streets like other frugal New Yorkers.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Fra - I like your sense of humor.

Aduchamp1 - She's not accepted yet, just applying.

ellenem - wonder what your major was?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM

By the way, Astor Place is crowded all the time since it is the confluence of many streets including St. Mark's (East 8th Street). St. Mark's is the tourist epicenter of the East Village. Need overpriced socks, cheap sunglasses or meal, or T-shirts with cliched sayings, St. Marks is the place.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM

Hey BarryK

Your daughter would have to run 'carefully' across town to either the east river or west side hwy to have any good "running area" for a good run.

You see it all the time. Some "Coed" running in place waiting for the light to change!

BUT..I bet that she would have a most intersting running experience by working her way across town!!

Fra: You are too funny!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM

Started in architecture, eventually switched to art.