Reload this Page >

Is Union Square unsafe?

Search

Is Union Square unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Keith Davis

Is Union Square unsafe?

My wife and one of her girlfriends will be heading into San Francisco for a 4 day shopping trip. They would like to stay in Union Square, to be close to the shopping. However, I'm picking up a thread in these postings that Union Square is no longer safe at night. Can someone please comment? They will not have a car, and will be walking extensively. The last thing I want to do is book them a hotel in an unsafe part of town...thx...kd

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:25 AM
sandy

Yes it is safe. On weekends there are plenty of people around going to restaurants and shopping. Like any big city avoid unlit dark areas and keep your wits about you. The later you are out (after 12 am or so) the more weirdos will be out.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Mona

I wouold have to respectfully disagree with Sandy. As a longtime SF resident, Union Square has been getting rough around the edges over the past few years. During the day it is not so bad, but at night I would not recommend it as a place for two women by thenselves.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Ben

The area is perfectly safe. It is the heart of SF and many thousands of tourists stay in the numerous hotels which line the area. The Tenderloin area borders the Union Sq area and that district should be avoided on foot at night. This map shows the area
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/graphics/maps/unionsq-map.gif
This describes the Union Sq area
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/unionsq.shtml
This describes the Tenderloin area
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/tenderloin.shtml

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Wendy

Especially with the recent renovation re-opening of the square in union square, there are more people, artists, events going on. I find that area is quite safe. At night, take cabs anyway.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Katie

Just because they fixed up Union Square, I still do not feel that it is a very safe area, especially at night. I would look for a hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area instead.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Tim

We just returned from SF and stayed stayed at the Pan Pacific which is one block west of Union Sq (US). There are alot of fancy hotels bordering Union sq. and overall I thought it was a very safe area (my wife is a total chicken). It does get a little rough as you go 3-4 blocks south of US but this area can easily be avoided. We did alot of walking around at night 9-12pm and it was always busy with tourists. There were even alot of people on the cable cars at this time. I would recommend staying in the region just west or north of the square.

I totally disagree with the person who recommended Fisherman's Wharf which is far from Union Square and other shopping and has the feel of Daytona Beach.

Tim

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Cam

I agree with the previous posters who do not recommend staying in Union Square. It really is not in the most desirable area in SF. Although there are fancy hotels there, the area is kind of dumpy. I did not feel too safe in Union Square at night.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Union

Union Square is the city's central public space, the square itself is home to protests, homeless encampments, and street artists. The city's legendary beggars are at their thickest concentration here, where naive tourists are played for cash by hopeful bums claiming to have fought in Vietnam and demanding their due compensation (many even don fatigues to add to the effect).
Drug dealing on the street corners is also prevalent in and around te Union Square area.

The vivacity of Union Square is accentuated by brash newsstands, downright tacky shops selling superfluously decorated lamps and statuettes, and apocalypse-preachers. These extend down the length of Powell Street to Hallidie Plaza, a sort of poor-man's Union Square, where the homeless clash with tourists and street chess games extend well into the night.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Faina

Sometimes I go alone to the Union Square are theaters, and walk back home. All stores are closed by the time the shows are over. Still lots of people in the streets. No safety issues. I don't agree with people who say Fisherman's is safer.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:29 AM
x

Keith, you'll never get accurate info on San Francisco from fodors.com, thanks to one person who distorts things quite a bit. Try other travel boards.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:50 AM
NYGUY

I don't get why people think Union Square is unsafe. Granted - I live in Manhattan and am well travelled in Latin America and SE Asia..but i think people make too much of the safety issue when travelling to big cities. Just as in NY, Seattle, Washington, Boston or any other big city as long as you use some common sense you will perfectly fine and are extremely unlikely to encounter any problems. SF is very safe, Union Square is fine. Go..have fun..stay there and enjoy.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Bob

I have to concur. Too many people associate "unpleasant" or "grimy" with "unsafe." I've found parts of SF to be unpleasant and grimy but I've never felt like I was in any danger AND it was easy enough to find alternate routes to get where I was going.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:18 AM
SF trolls are

I can't believe all the SF trolls here who are saying that Union Square is a clean and perfectly safe area. This could not be further from the truth. Every day that I walk through there, I have to hold my nose. The streets being dirty is bad enough, not to mention the incessant drug dealing in this area. The trolls are posting misinformation, all the while telling unsuspecting tourists to ignore anyone who posts anything different from what they are saying.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:34 AM
NYGUY

I don't know what your problem is..I am certainly not a troll. I just think people get too easily scared by big cities..i can't tell you how many people come to NY but are afraid to walk around at night or take the subway etc. People - cities are perfectly safe. Don't let this overblown fear of crime ruin your vacation.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Bob

Not a troll here either. I was in SF two months ago and it the city definitely has some social issues to consider. Certainly dirtier and more homeless than we have in Ohio, however, most big cities can say this. Union Square and the city itself aren't nearly as bad as the naysayers seem to make it. In fact, I've yet to see them post any decent advice for travelers. So, Keith, I think Union Square is a great option for your wife and her friend.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Cindy

Actually, no one has said Union Square is "clean" or "perfectly safe" as one poster above mentioned. I think they are saying that it's part of a big city. In fact, some of them have agreed to some of the negatives of the area. Mr./Mrs. "SF Troll" hasn't posted anything positive. I can't believe a city that consistently ranks as one of travelers' favorites has NO positives.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Jack

Keith, the problem isn't so much one of safety as comfort. There are generally enough people around the Union Square area so that your wife wouldn't likely be in any real danger. However, it is an area of the city with some pretty agressive panhandlers, which can scare some people, especially when it happens at night. Unlike the other major cities mentioned, who have basically driven the bums, panhandlers and drug dealers out of their major tourist areas (NY's Times Square for instance), SF seems to have a policy of leaving them alone even if they do hassle the tourists. I guess its part of some kind of liberal agenda in the city. However, things are beginning to change. A lot of the tourist industry in SF is being negatively affected by what is going on and starting to make a very public issue out of the problem. Who knows, maybe someday things might change. Until then, just tell your wife to be careful and she should be alright.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 02:03 PM
sandy

I think the Market Street area is much worse than Union Square. There are so many restaurants,dept. stores and nice hotels in the area that the normal people far out weigh the loons. Just use common sense that you would in any big city.Off of Bay Street right by Fisherman's Wharf there is a area that see's a lot of gang activity. I'll take panhandler's any day over gangs. Just my opinon.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:41 PM
karen

I work in San Francisco. Union Square is busy with tourists. If your wife and friends are shopping, having dinner, or taking in a play and heading back to the hotel--the streets will be busy and I would not worry about safety other than the ordinary care you would take in any large city.

Union Square has just been completely remodeled and revamped and is clean. With the pending World Series--- the city is serious about attracting tourists and putting its best foot forward. Union Square has been the focus of a major project and as a hightlight of the city will be a focus of some city attention.

The Tenderloin is several blocks to the West and should be avoided.

There is a Hyatt near the square that is pretty nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -