Galleria Park in Financial District

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Susan

Galleria Park in Financial District

My husband and I are interested in the great deal offered at the Galleria Park at 191 Sutter St.in the Financial District,off Union Square. Have you stayed there? How's the area? I've read the mixed reviews on Union Square........but we are from NY!! Thanks for your input.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Frank

Union Square is not the most desirable place in town. There are lots of tacky souvenier shops and it is basically a tourist trap. The area needs a major facelift, in addition to the remodeling of the square itself which is a marginal improvement at best. The Financial District and surrounding downtown area basically close down at night, so it may be difficult to find restaurants and the like open after 7 PM. Unfortunately, being that I live here I do not stay in the hotels in town so I cannot commendt about the Galleria Park.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Alana

Union Square is not considered in the Financial District, by the way. The Financial District is considered to be south of Chinatown, Soho, & Tribeca which are all south of Union Square. Staying actually within the Financial District is to stay in a ghost town at night & on weekends. It is aptly named & strictly business. Union Square is much further north & more lively at all hours. If you are going after Thanksgiving, Union Square hosts a nice outdoor gift market through Christmas.

Cannot review the hotel, but Union Square is a great jumping off point to get to the rest of the city via the subway. The square itself is a nice large park, with interesting areas of town to the north, west, and Veniero's to the southeast. If you need to stay in the center of attractions, then choose a hotel near Times Square or Columbus Circle. They are within easy reach of most midtown attractions and provide easy access to the Eastside and Westside museums.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Fodorite

Oops, I think Alana thinks you are asking about a hotel in New York! Thanks for the geography lesson, Alana, but Sutter Street tell me San Francisco.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Eva

We stayed there 2 years ago and enjoyed the Galleria Park. The staff was very accommodating and the hotel itself had a lot of charm.There was (and I believe still is) a wine reception in the evenings that had various types of both red and white and some hors d'oeuvres.

The only drawback we saw to the place was the size of the room. It was not awful but w/2 adults and one kid on a 2 week vacation there was limited space for all of our stuff.

As far as the area goes, you will get a lot of negative talk from a few people who love to bash SF and specifically the Union Sq. area, but do not be deterred. It is a very good location for visitors to the city. There are bus routes nearby and the cable cars are a couple of blocks over on Powell. Shopping and restaurants abound in this area!

If you are NYers you should have no problem navigating your way around.

Enjoy!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Alana

Aha! Thank you anonymous corrector. I thought the world was going a little insane, but when someone fails to mention the city they are traveling to, one can never quite know.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Frank

Eva, I am sorry that you think I am basing SF. I walk through Union Square on my way to work every day, so I see what this area is really like day in and day out.

Susan, I would urge you not to stay in the Union Square area. There many other parts of town that would be nicer.