Is Union Square the Best place to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am researching where to stay in December. I know that most people recommend Union Square, however after reading about the shooting that happened, I am a bit hesitant. Not because of the shooting, but because the report said that the perpetrators were in a club around the area. I will be with my husband and 17 year old son, and I really do not want to be around clubs or any "nightclubs". Is this the case or am I a bit misguided.

thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Check out Nob Hill, walking distance downhill to Union Square yet very refined atmosphere. Several good hotels are located there, like the Fairmont, Stanford Court, Mark Hopkins, etc. We stayed a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Last we stayed, Union Square was overun with homeless and panhandlers. The only problem with Nob Hill is the climb back up. If you rely on taxis and the cable car you won't have a problem.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM

the shooting was tragic and unfortunate but I would not call the area unsafe. It's a central area with lots of tourists. Personally my favorite area of the city to stay is closer to Embarcadero (Hotel Vitale, Le Meridian, Hyatt Regency). You can still walk to Union Square from this area in about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM

When you get to San Francisco you will understand why the Union Square area is a great base for sightseeing. Any smoke there will probably have cleared by December.

HTTY
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Union Square is NOT an filled with nightclubs, it's filled with shops, restaurants, bars, hotels -- this was an "event", meaning someone rented space and then advertised a party happening. There are many more clubs South of Market and in other areas of the city.

If you want to avoid being around clubs and nightclubs, you should consider staying in the Embarcadero or Fisherman's Wharf areas. The former is a "working" neighborhood (I work there), very lovely and pretty serene, near the bay, the Ferry Building, AT&T Park, etc. The latter is pretty much kid-tourist-central, and while fun for awhile, has very little to do with "real" San Francisco.