Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Hotels, Most convienient area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to use priceline for hotel accomodations in SF. I'm thinking zone 8 which is Union square east/Embarcadero would be convenient for most of the things we want to do.
No itinerary yet but on the list is
Alcatraz, maybe a Giants game, Walk along the bay. Fisherman's Wharf, Ferry Plaza marketplace, Golden Gate park, and easy access to BART.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that Union square had a seedy, unsafe side. Is there an area to stay away from? Is this area a good bet or is there a better, more convenient location?
Thanks much!!
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM

That area should be fine for the things you're interested in.

West of Union Square is an area known as the Tenderloin which has a bad reputation. But you can go two blocks west from Union Square to Taylor and be fine. I just stayed at the Monaco on Geary and Taylor last weekend (have stayed there before and also at the Serrano a block away) and had no problems at all.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Every part of San Francisco has some homeless and urban risk. You need to be alert to safety regardless of where you decide to stay.

I agree with NWW that Union Square is a good base for all your activities with a BART station nearby. Have fun.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I understand that there is some risk anywhere...but there is also the area's that provoke the "holy cow, don't stay there" response. And, unfortunately having never been to the area, I wouldn't know one from the other. So, Thanks! It really helps to have this great source of info available.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Union Square East/Embarcadero is the "good" side. It is a very convenient location. You can get there from the airport on BART (stop Montgomery St. or Embarcadero).

You are a short walk from the Ferry building and the Embarcadero waterfront. Cablecar stops are a few blocks away (maybe 6 or 7 for the Powell line).
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM

The Hilton Hotel is two blocks west of Union Square, as are the Hotel Monaco, the Clift, the Warwick Regis, the Adagio. One block west of Union Square are the JW Marriott and the Donatello.

The are known as the Tenderloin, in relation to Union Square is generally west of Jones Street and south of Ellis.

The Civic Center area is part of it.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I read such good things about the JW Marriott. Is Campton Place in a better location?
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
dmlove

That was the point - the JW Marriott and any of the hotels within two blocks west of Powell Street (which is the western edge of Union Square) are fine. It's only when you go further west than Taylor Street (Powell-Mason-Taylor in order) that it gets not-so-nice. If you're using Priceline the Union Square East area is the "safer" area to use -- the Union Square West area goes a little too far west and a little too far south.

Old May 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
dmlove

Oh, and Campton Place is in a perfectly nice location on the east side of Union Square (Stockton Street). (The square itself is bounded by Stockton St. on the East, Geary on the south, Powell on the West and Post St. on the north.

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks dmlove - when I read jtrandolph, I read it as 'They are known as the tenderloin' instead of 'The area known as the tenderloin' and got confused. I just looked at a map and see exactly what you mean. We're going in October and we have a pretty good deal at Campton Place.

As far as 'areas,' we go block by block in some parts of NY as to what's safe and what's not. It sure helps to hear it from a local. Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
dmlove

Not only will you be on the "right" side of Union Square, you're kitty corner to a Hyatt, 1/2 a block from Neiman's and Macy's, a block from Saks, 2 blocks from Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. In fact, you'll pretty much be in the middle of San Francisco's equivalent to Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue.

Old May 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Kal

We're big USE/Embarc fans on Priceline.

Then it's Fish/Wharf.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM
heyjohn07

Union Square is actually a pretty good area to stay in, particularly because it is so central to just about everything in San Francisco. A good resource for San Francisco hotels is http://indianchiefguides.com/en/unit...ancisco/hotels where there are some 140+ hotels described, along with links directly to the hotel websites as well as room rates and location (such as Union Square, Civic Center, etc). Hope it helps.

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM

CentralParkGirl,

Sorry I made a typo and typed "are" instead of "area".

The JW Marriott is my very favorite San Francisco Hotel. It is one block from Union Square, has a soaring lobby with two fireplaces and a glass elevator, large rooms, valet service, and the bathrooms are to die for. Marble, with a large marble soaking tub separate from the shower, chrome and glass vanity area with a tiny TV to distract you from your shaving or makeup.

The other hotels I mentioned are in a perfectly safe area. And this is the theater district.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM

jtrandolph - no problem. I should have read more carefully.

The JW Marriott does look wonderful. And they just redid the lobby. I actually have a reservation there too. But Campton Place is $230 a night with breakfast (regularly $425) and the JW is $359 without breakfast and we're staying 4 nights. So price will most likely prevail in the decision.