recommend union square for nonshoppers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question....would you fodorites still recommend staying in the Union Square area in SF for a family of 4 that is not interested in shopping, theater or expensive dining. We have family in NYC and spend alot of time doing all three when not on vacation. We are interested in exploring all of SF and going to all the tourist sights. (we will be there 3 full days) We are looking for a nice hotel, at least 3 star preferably 4 star, very well located on bus and trolley lines, very, very clean and if possible could accomodate 4 of us in a room. Amenities in the hotel really aren't important since we plan on being out of the hotel all day.
Thanks so much!!!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I visit San Francisco every year and personally don't care for the Union Square area, regardless of shopping status.

How about North Beach, or the Marina? The Cow Hollow/Union Street area is also great.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I'm not a fan of Union Square either. If you're not shopping or going to the theater there are better areas. Personally I think the Embarcadero is best situated for access to pretty much everything. Hotels in the area are The Vitale, the Hyatt Embarcadero and the Omni. You can get good rates often on Priceline.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Union Square is all about shopping, theater and dining. Lots of other great parts of SF.

Check out the Argonaut down near the wharf. Rave reviews on Tripadvisor and it is next to cable car and bus lines. It is walking distance (some longer than others) to many sites.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:31 AM

You should have a car anyway, so I wouldn't worry about proximity to tourist sites. Without a doubt, enjoying many of San Francisco's best offerings requires a car.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies...I think you are all right. Union Square is probably not for us. I checked out Cow Hollow and too bad but the suites are unavailable. (I don't really want two double rooms) I will look into Hotel Vitale. The omni is a bit too big for my taste and the Argonaut has no rooms available. Any other hotel suggestions???????
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM

I don't know anything about Hotel Vitale, but it is right next to two of my favorite San Francisco hotels: Harbor Court Hotel and Griffon Hotel. It is a nice little area with a few good restaurants and beautiful short walk along the bay to the Ferry Building or the cable car that takes you straight up California to Nob Hill.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Stayed at Vitale recently. Great location and very nice hotel. A tad on the pricey side though.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

The hotel vitale doesn't have any rooms left with 2 beds for the 4 of us. They recommended their Hotel Adagio with two queen beds but then I would be back again in Union Square...any other ideas???
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I've trusted this site for all my accomadations in the Bay area. http://www.hotelres.com/ Click on Active Map for many options.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jayzee, I called hotel res they were extremely nice and recommended Grosvenor suites but it doesn't look that great to me. I still have a reservation at Villa Florence from before but again that is in union square.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM

There may be a time where you have to prioritize. Is it location or hotel that is more important? It sounds like you have specific needs in a hotel, and thus you may end up in Union Square to satisfy those needs. That being the case, the location is fine.

You may not be able to have it all.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I like the Union Square area & I don't shop. It's an easy walk to China Town & North Beach, the trolley is right there to get you to the waterfront area. We have walked from Union Square through China Town, North Beach, up to Coit Tower, down the other side to the waterfront sights,then taking the trolley back to Union Square & we are not spring chickens. Want to walk the Golden Gate Bridge, take the trolley to Fisherman's Wharf & walk through Golden Gate Park - very nice. Also you do not need a vehicle in San Francisco because parking is a nightmare. Walking & the trolley will get you to most of the attractions of San Francisco.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM
JJ5

I second what MikeT said.

It's been 3 years but I got a TERRIFIC Priceline suite/kitchenette with free parking and lovely German hosts (the kitchenette was fully equipped) at Pacific Heights Inn. We walked to Union ST (not Union Square) but could easily access transit/walk to shore areas.

Next time I am going to stay Embarcadero, as Catbert suggests, because I thought the same thing when I was there. Although I did like staying in a real neighborhood rather than a tourist row of hotels when I was in SF.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I prefer Union Sq. for the same reasons Shea mentions. I always find it the most convenient location.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM

You do NOT need a car, it is a pain in the you-know-what; parking is expensive, and as New Yorkers you know how to negotiate a city with taxis, public transit and feet!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:31 PM
SAB

The issue of having a car in SF comes up with regularity on this board and as I recall Gekko always states that one should have a car. As an actual resident of SF, my recommendation is always the same also--you don't need a car as a vistor in order to get around and for many the parking rates seem very high. If you don't have an issue with paying for parking a car that you may not use that much, or paying for parking in crowded ares, yes it is convenient especially for seeing sights outside of the downtown, Chinatown, North Beach quadrant of the City.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM

You only need a car to see things *outside* of San Francisco, like the redwoods, or Point Reyes. You definitely do not need a car within the city and if you don't have free parking at your hotel/motel, you do not *want* a car. The only way to use a car in the city is to drive in, find a place where you can leave it while you're there, preferably free or at least where you won't get a ticket, and hop on the nearest bus to get where you're going. Finding a parking space can take 15 minutes to half an hour, so you don't want to be repeating it several times in one day.

Union Square is a central place to stay, you don't have to shop while there, and it's convenient to transportation. The Embarcadero is a bit closer to the bay, I think some discount internet sites include it in their "Union Square West" area. Some places in the Tenderloin bill themselves as "Union Square" also, so "Union Square" doesn't always mean Union Square.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:18 PM

I think the Embarcadero area would be considered Union Square east not west, just a typo no doubt.

My husband was like Gekko and my son-in-law is the same way, must have the car while in SF although the car often sits in the parking garage. But there are times it is good to have. Just depends on ones budget etc.

I don't stay at Union Square just to shop. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I just find it the most convenient location and the public transportation is certainly good from Union Square.

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Gekko's not completely wrong. There are plenty of advantages to having a car in SF. Some of the most interesting views are easiest to get to by car. I just took a visiting friend around a bit and she saw things she hadn't seen before when she didn't have a car. Also, the 49 mile drive is a great way to see all aspects of the City.

That said, unless you're made of money, you might prefer to stay at Cow Hollow Suites or at one of the places (not anywhere close to 4 star) on Lombard St.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -