COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotels near Union Square

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Sara

Hotels near Union Square

Hi. I had a friend of a friend tell me that I should try to get a hotel down in Union Square (E. 14th Street) and 60th.

How do I look up hotels? I am so confused on the whole East and West Side thing. I am a map retard.

Can someone tell me names of hotel in this area. Or how to look it up. I plugged the address in on yahoo and mapquest, but it didn't do anything for me.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Faina

How many cities have Union Square? I opened this message thinking it's San Francisco, and thinking of Mona

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:17 PM
madge

If it's NY, I think you're confused. You can't have 14th and 60th.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:27 PM
James

Hey Sara:

Okay, first of all, Union Square is located around 14th Street and Park Ave (same thing as Fourth Ave). This is located on the east side of Manhattan (Fifth Ave is the dividing line, with lower numbered avenues being east and higher being west).

Most things below 14th Street (i.e. 8th Street) are considered "downtown".

The area between 14th and say, 23rd is kind of a weird area. Not quite downtown and not quite midtown. Usually people talk about the neighborhoods (Chelsea on the west, Flatiron in the middle, Gramercy or Union Square on the east)

Above 23rd or 34th (depending on whom you talk to) up to about 59th is considered "Midtown".

Above that (up to 96th Street) are the Upper West and Upper East sides (in relation to Central Park).

Maybe that just confused you more.

Anyway, what type of hotel are you looking for? (i.e. What rate do you want to pay per night?). There are not a lot of hotels right near Union Sq, but this continutes to change.

Here is a list of some hotels I know near Union Square:

W Hotel Union Square (17th Street and Park Ave)
Hotel 17 (17th Street between Third and Second Aves)
Gramercy Park Hotel (21st Street between Park (4th) Ave and Third Ave)
Inn at Irving Place (on Irving Place, which is between Park and Third Avenue, near 17th Street)

Was any of this helpful? Can anyone else help Sara?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:35 PM
old orch

try the gramercy park hotel on 22nd and lex. alot cheaper than most others around. there is a new W hotel on 17th and park you can try as well but it will be 3x more expensive. i have an apartment in gramercy and i think it is the best value.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:55 PM
John

Hi Sara:

James gave you a great overview, you should read his trip posts about 'off-beat' NYC. Now, Union Square is the latest happening area amongst other great happening areas! I would try and find a good hotel, in a nice area, and travel to Union Square and other sights. Check rec'c on 'Hotels in NYC" in this forum or let us know your 'price point' and we will try and help!
John

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Sarah

The Westin St. Francis on Powell St. is my favorite.