Romantic Winter Vacations for Two

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I both live in Florida, and would like a new vacation than the typical beach and fun-in-the-sun getaway. Our birthdays are in January, so I was thinking about going on a vacation someplace we could see snow. Neither of us ski or snowboard, but would be interested in learning. I'm a bit of a homebody and really like to relax on vacation, so anywhere we go would have to offer a variety of activities- winter sports, spa, great dining, and a decent room (in case we want to hole up for a day or so). Any suggestions? I was thinking Philadelphia, Vermont, Colorado and Wyoming; but am not really sure what there is to do other than ski all day. Another interest of mine is New York, but again, I'm not really sure where to start. Please help!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure what your price range is but my husband and I honeymooned in Stowe, VT. We stayed at the Stone hill inn.
http://www.stonehillinn.com/

Bigger resorts in the area include Topnotch, Stoweflake and the Trapp Family lodge.

http://www.topnotchresort.com/
http://www.stoweflake.com/
http://www.trappfamily.com/
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM

I'd highly recommend Estes Park, Colorado, the gateway town to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you want romance, nothing is better than Romantic Riversong, a B&B for adults in a gorgeous setting. There's no alpine skiing here, but there are things like snowshoeing and wildlife viewing in the park to keep you occupied. It's an easy journey from the Denver airport and the winter solitude is marvelous here. A nice change from Florida, I'd say!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM

January is a great time to visit NYC....generally the hotel prices are at their lowest. You can still see the Rockefeller tree til about the second week in January and there's outdoor ice skating at Rock center and in CP. I think the city is very romantic in the winter!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Fellow Floridians here, we spent a long weekend in Copper Mt. Colorado this winter. Tried skiing for the first time. (one success, one not so much). We rented a condo on VRBO, sat by the fireplace watching snow falling. It is a quiet village, not a lot going on, but is known to be a good beginning slope, and our experience with ski lessons was wonderful. Had we been bored, there were lots of things to do (eating, shopping, etc) within an easy drive or shuttle bus ride. Everybody should do it once.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Mount Tremblant. French food, great skiing (even for beginners), a fun all-pedestrian village, plenty of spa and pool activities (even outdoor pools and whirlpools), and did I say FRENCH FOOD?
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Go here: La Posada de Taos B&B in Taos, NM. Especially if that boyfriend may become a fiance or something.

Copper Mountain is quiet, nearby Breckenridge brings the noise and has more options.

Mont Tremblant is in Canada and is the resort where Natasha Richardson bonked her head and her diagnosable epidural hematoma was not diagnosed because the village is nowhere near a medical facility that has a CT scanner. That's not the case in US ski towns.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Vail CO would be my choice. It has a fabulous ski school, nice lodging choices and excellent restaurants.

I also like Stowe VT. Favorite place to stay is the Green Mountain Inn on Main St. in the village.

Check out www.gostowe.com for ideas.