What can a non skier do in Breckenridge vs. Winter Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get my working class family to CO to see mountains and snow (neither of which my teen children have seen. (we are from Texas) My daughter is going with her church group to Breckenridge. We have decided to go along but are trying to decide between Breckenridge and Winter Park---which is better for a family with two non-skiing parents (too old and no insurance!) From the internet I've gotten the idea there may be more stuff in Winter Park, but that could be wrong. so what is there for a non-skieer to do in Breckenridge (nature or culture wise, nothing too costly) thanks yall!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
MaureenB

If your daughter's group is going to Breckenridge, don't you want to go to the same place she'll be? If so, you will find plenty to do in Breckenridge and nearby Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, Vail, etc..
>-

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Breckenridge is an old mining town that has a ski resort at it; Winter Park is a ski resort with not much else very close to it. For that reason, Breckenridge may be the better choice for you.

Being a town, you could walk around in town, or take the shuttle around town. There are several historic houses that are periodically open for viewing. Larger selection of stores for shopping or restaurants for eating. There's a theater group in Breck, the Backstage Theater, that has shows running all the time; we've enjoyed those that we've attended.

Breckenridge also has other towns that are closer to it than Winter Park - Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, Vail. You could visit any of those for the day. You could do that from Winter Park as well, but Winter Park would be a much further drive from any of those places.

In terms of winter non-skiing activities, you'll find lots of those at both Breck and Winter Park. I'm less familiar with Winter Park, though, so while I know there's ice skating (indoor and outdoor) and sledding in Breck, I don't know for sure about Winter Park. Both have cross country skiing centers (Winter Park has a very large one nearby; I've never been to it, but heard many good things about it; it's called Devil's Thumb); you can go snowshoeing as well at the nordic centers. Even if you've never cross-country skiied, please give it a try! It's beautiful, and a great way to enjoy the scenary and the outdoors (or you could do the same thing on snowshoes). You could go on snowmobile tours (though tend to be expensive) or dogsled rides (ditto).

Enjoy!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

I just returned from Breck. There is plenty to do there for non-skiiers. I had such a hard time with altitude sickness that I didn't get to ski this trip. There is lots of shopping, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, dog sledding(we did this and it was a blast!)Everything will be pretty expensive, though. One day we rented a car and went over to Vail, Leadville and Buena Vista. It turned out to be one of the prettiest drives I've ever been on.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

There is not much for a non-skier to do in Winter Park. Definitely stay in Breck.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

Definitely try snowmobiling.