Search

Beginner Skiing in CO.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner Skiing in CO.

HI All!
I'm thinking of taking the kids to CO. before my son goes to boot camp (Navy.)
He leaves in April.
Where is the best place to take beginners skiing in CO.?
We can do a bus trip or fly, from KC, but we'll also have to rent equipment.
So, I'll need affordable, easy skiing, and close to restaurants, entertainment, etc...
They'll be at least 4 maybe 6 of us going...
I'll probably need to book this soon...
help here is very appreciated!!!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:21 AM

All of the Colorado ski resorts will have skiing for beginners as well as restaurants. For affordable prices and good beginner slopes,I would recommend Winter Park,Keystone, Breckinridge and Copper Mt.

I like Copper because the mountain is actually divided according to skiing abilty. Beginner slopes on the west side,intermediate in the middle and more advanced on the east side. This helps keeps one from the 'onslaught' of the faster skiers as well as help in keeping the beginners from accidently getting onto a slope they can't ski.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM

If anyone in your group needs to take lessons, Winter Park offers a great deal for first time skiers who are 14 years and older. You can't beat the price since it includes a half-day lesson, rentals and lift ticket for about $50/day.

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/rentals...i/easy_ski.htm

Winter Park doesn't have as many restaurants etc., that Breckenridge offers, but for affordable prices I think it is worth a look.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Ditto Winter Park. Lots of condos, but you might try to get a house down the road at the YMCA of the Rockies (Snow Mountain Ranch); they have ice skating, cross country trails and rentals (also downhill equp), and shuttle to Winter Park. (The cabins are as large as 3 bedrooms, I believe, very nice, the setting is beautiful, and the price is also terrific.)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM
MaureenB

Winter Park ski area is great for all abilities. They do have that $50 package for beginners, which is a very good deal.

Snow Mountain Ranch (YMCA of the Rockies) is a beautiful place, about 10 miles north of the downhill ski area. I am not sure if they provide a free shuttle to the ski area, so you might ask about that. Snow Mountain Ranch has a beautiful Nordic skiing center, if you want to try cross-country type skiing on their nice trails. It's a favorite of our family. But, it's a ways from the restaurants in town. It does have a grill, which is basic, cute and ok for burgers, etc.

A good rental service in Winter Park is Destinations West. They are honest, reliable and have good properties. They have a website, but I don't know the URL.

If you're interested in snowmobiling, Trail Blazers is a good outfit. We just used them a couple of weeks ago.
>-

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I wouldn't really call Breckenridge affordable. Just returned from there:
Lessons: $80 half day $90 full day
Lift Ticket: $ 81 full day $65 half day
Rental Equip: $40 full day $25 half day
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM

As others have said all the resorts offer what you are wanting. If affordable is important then I offer these suggestions.

Rent a condo to save on lodging, meals. look at http://denver.craigslist.org/vac/
often locals offer their condos at really good prices. If you're flexible and can arrive on Sun or Mon leave on Friday often you can get even better pricing. Plus the slopes are less crowded.

Consider staying at Keystone and skiing A-Basin the for a day or so. No many will say that the Basin is for more advances skiers but I'd disagree. A bunny slope is a bunny slope. They have great instructors with typically fewer students in a lesson. Plus the green run there is rarely as busy as other beginner runs at the more known areas, plus it will cost less. Look at

http://www.skicoupons.com/groups.cfm/r/9/g/1

Keystone will offer you an opportunity for restaurants and other activities should some want to take a break from skiing.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM

I agree with COSKIER. Stay at Keystone, learn at A-basin. They offer $5 all day lift tickets for just the beginner Molly Hogan Lift.

If you stay during the week like another poster suggested, http://www.skyruncondos.com offers 'fill the gap' specials on their website and offers gear rentals at mountain view sports at 25% off for their guests. They also have discount lift tickets for Keystone for about $35 should you want to ski there instead of a-basin.