colorado skiing Winter Park or Copper Mt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Denver Feb 10 and are thinking about skiing at Winter Park and staying at the Zephyr Mt Lodge which is a ski in/out. We are also thinking about Copper Mountain and staying in Mountian Place which is kind of a ski in place. We plan on staying for 5 nights and wonder which would be better and we are intermediate skiers.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
MaureenB

You will get many opinions about this. But, it depends on what you want. For starters, what are the ages and the number of people in your party? Do you want night life and lots of choices for apres ski, or do you want to ski and then relax in a more quiet setting?

Because Copper has all of Summit County to draw from, which means lots of choices and activities. Winter Park (and Mary Jane) may be better ski mountains, but there's limited shopping and night life. Probably not as crowded there, either.

We prefer Winter Park because we think it is in a more spectacular mountain setting, away from the highway and day-trippers.

Winter Park and Mary Jane sit alone. If you stay at Copper, you could also go to Breckenridge and Keystone, even Vail.

It's probably a toss up for you, unless you have exacting preferences, or if prices vary significantly from one to the other.
>-

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

It will be just me and husband 45 age range. We went to Winter Park back in 1985 and have never skied Copper Mt. WE normal take the blue runs but we have not skied since 2001 when we use to take the kids. Your thoughts on which ski Mt.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

We decided to go with Winter Park. Now we need to figure out about snow mobiling and we ahve been before in Vermont but not in Co.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
MaureenB

We have a place in Winter Park, and have gone there for over 20 years, so I can help you with questions about the area. For condo rentals, I can recommend Destinations West. They specialize in nice upper-end places.

My daughter and her friend went snowmobiling last winter, and the outfit was really great. They took them quite a ways, and up on top of a ridge. The equipment was good, the guides were knowledgeable, and the price was reasonable. I can't recall the name offhand, but I can find it if you need it.

Winter Park is beautiful. I hope we get some snow soon, though!
>-