Places to ski if staying in Estes Park

Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Places to ski if staying in Estes Park

We will have the use of a condo in Estes for 4 nights any time between January and end of May. Myself& DH (both just turned 40) daughter age 11 son age 13. We would like to ski since we have never been. Any suggestions on other things to do in the area would be appreciated.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM

We are not skiiers, but the last time we were in EP, was told by the hotel people that because of their location- E of the Mountains- they are not a ski town.

Cold weather but not enough snow for that activity.

Have fun anyway- we love it there.
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

I found Eldora ski resort south of Estes. Anyone have any thoughts?
Nov 25th, 2003, 09:53 AM

try posting this on www.epicski.com there are some Eldora people there as well as many, many ski industry folks
Nov 25th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Eldora is the closest ski resort, however it is quite small with short runs. Definitely not on a level with the other larger resort areas. But if you are skiing for the first time it might be good to have some easy hills and short runs. I would also suggest you visit my home town of Boulder - it's only 35 miles from Estes Park.
Nov 26th, 2003, 09:31 AM
hpl

As notes previously, Eldora is the closest. It's actually not bad for a beginner but can be windy (and therefore colder). The more traditional Colorado resorts are quite a bit further away.

Another alternative - forget downhill skiing and go snowshoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park instead. Conditions in February and March can be wonderful and places like the Warming House can help with rentals and guides. They may also be able to help with cross country skiing instead.

If you really want to go downhill, it can be done from estes but it's an hour to Eldora and another 2 or so to Keystone, Breck, etc.
Nov 26th, 2003, 08:36 PM

Estes Park sits at the opening to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, if you end up going later in your time frame.

Boulder, I agree, is a great little city. If I could live there, it would be near the top of my list.

Trivia on Estes Park: The Stanley Hotel, a very prominant and historic building in town, was the inspiration for Steven King's The Shining.

All work and no play...

Nov 26th, 2003, 10:57 PM

I would say for more decent skiing, the closest to Estes is probably Winter Park. Which is still probably a 30 min drive.

Search this Thread