Help with ski trip out West

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Janice

Help with ski trip out West

We are going to plan a ski trip with our teenage sons in February. Looking for great skiing but not so high prices. Where is the best value?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Paul

Here are a few suggestions:
Wolf Creek Colorado. Cheaper(er) lift tickets and lodging in Pagosa Springs.
I've always wanted to ski the Park City Utah area. You can stay at the Motel 6 in Salt Lake city and drive to all of the ski areas. Definitely a cost savings in the winter.
Whistler/Blackcomb in British Columbia. Canada is relatively inexpensive for U.S. citizens + this is my favorite ski area. Its HUGE. 8 runs from top to bottom and you are done for the day.
Good luck!
Paul

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:32 AM
pam

We've skied at Cooper Mountain in Colorado. There are a lot of discount tickets you can get at the stores there, much cheaper than Vail. If you want to ski in Vail, you can apply in their website for the lift tickets which will also let you to ski Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone(has night skiing). If you're planning to ski on the week of the President's day, this is the peak season so lodging is very expensive. When we skied Cooper, we stayed at the ski resort and rented from the owner of a 2BR condo there which is cheaper than booking with the ski resort. For Vail, we stayed at a budget hotel in Dillon and drove about an hour to Vail. Goodluck planning your trip!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:37 AM
plummie

For lodging choices, go to www.vrbo.com
It lists quite a few places for rent by owners in the ski areas. We found a place through the site last winter at Keystone and the price was much less than renting through the resort.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Susie Klaey

I suggest Park City, Utah area. The snow is incredible and you will find skiing areas for every level. I agree with Paul, that you could stay in a Motel 6 in Salt Lake City and drive from there to the ski resorts, they all pretty close by. Go to www.skiutah.com to get more information !!

So long.. and enjoy skiing ! If you ever get a chance, you should ski the mountains in Switzerland !!
Susie

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Skier

Lake Tahoe. They are always running airfare specials into Reno and lodging and food are reasonable.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:34 AM
kima

All good suggestions. depending on how many days your skiing some resorts offer discounts if you prepay for tickets thru thier web page. Also in Denver at King Soopers Grocery stores you can get discounted tickets for most resorts, though last year not Vail/BC

Yes rent from an owner. you will save at least 20%, most likely more than that. Vrbo.com is good as is www.summitnet.com. Summitnet has a form that you can fill out with specifics, ie budget,location
http://cf.summitnet.com/lodging/vacationmail.cfm

they send to ppl in thier data base to respond to you. its an easy way to see whats available and how much

you might try it and see what fits your needs.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Dayle

Hi Janice,

Feb is high season, so staying in SLC & driving from there is a very cost efective option. You can also get discounted lift tickets at 7-11's & Smith's grocery stores which is helpful if you want to ski at several different areas & can't use multi-day passes at just one area.

Last year Park City Mtn Resort/Deer Valley/Canyons did a combined lift package. See if this is still available. Also, Snowbird/Alta now sell inter-resort tickets also! No snowboards allowed at Alta though.

If you want to ski the less expensive Utah areas they are: Brighton, Alta, Solitude, Powder Mtn. (up east of Ogden).

Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Cara

I second the nomination for Whistler/Balckcomb. It's my favorite ski area for many reasons... the people are friendly, the surroundings are breathtakingly beautiful and quality of skiing, accomodations, restaurants and spas are incredible and all for much less than you'd pay in the US because the US dollar is so strong there. Also you can get your tax back from the Canadian goverment on your hotel room and other more expensive items (I think it's over $100??). We had a rental car and we didn't use it once the whole week we were there, because the village has everything you need within walking distance (and you can take a bus from the airport).