Reload this Page >

AZ trip directions - CDC, Mon.Valley, GC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
zack

I need your help! I am going this route and need advice on best directions, if any of you have done this before...
From Flagstaff, to Canyon de Chelly, to Monument Valley, to Grand Canyon, to Sedona, to Tucson. Safe and scenic route is preferred. Would prefer no scary backroads as I will be alone. I contacted AAA, but don't know that their advice is as good as yours. Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Polly

Having done this trip before, I would reverse it: Sedona to Flagstaff to GC to Monument Valley to Canyon de Chelley. Route seems obvious to me when you look at the map. One exception...which entrance do you use to get to GC? Personally, I favor entrance from the east (because you get a wonderful view of the Painted Dessert as you travel north from Flagstaff), but since this route takes you in that direction when you leave GC, the south entrance probably makes more sense. Many of the roads along this route are sparsely traveled, but they are all good roads and (I might add) well patroled...ah hem!!! You are likely to be stopped and fined if you drive too fast. Also be aware that the area has a 'no fence' law for farm animals and it is not unlikely that you will encounter a herd of sheep crossing the road under the diligent guidance of their watch dogs only.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Utahtea

Hi Zack,

From Flagstaff take I-40 to Chambers and then take Hwy 191 north to Canyon de Chelly. You are out in the boonies, but it is a very traveled route.

Might I suggest if you have the time, that in Holbrook you take Hwy 180 southeast to the Petrified Forest National Park entrance and then go north again on the Petrified Forest Highway back up to I-40.

From Canyon de Chelly take Hwy 191 north to Hwy 160 and then Hwy 160 west to Kayenta. Then Hwy 163 to Monument Valley. You will have to double back on Hwy 163 to Kayenta to pick up Hwy 160 again to go to Tuba City and then on to Hwy 89. Take Hwy 89 south to Cameron and then west on Hwy 64 to the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

As Polly mentioned, after you leave the Grand Canyon I would double back on Hwy 64 to Cameron, because the views are fantastic as you leave the park this way. When you reach Hwy 89 travel south until you reach Flagstaff.

From Flagstaff there are two ways you can get to Sedona. I-17 which is fast and safe and Hwy 89A which winds through national forest and Oak Creek Canyon which is beautiful.

Exit Sedona on Hwy 179. You might want to take an hour and explore Montezuma's Castle National Mounument just north of Camp Verde and just off the Interstate.

Take I-17 south to Phoenix and then I-10 down to Tucson.

One last suggestion. While you are in Canyon de Chelly take the 1/2 day or all day jeep trip from the Thunderbird Lodge. They are fantastic!

Have a good trip. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Utahtea

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
zack

Thank you both so much! I can't change our original plan as you suggest to go from Sed. to Flag, but will use Utahtea's route. Apprectiate your help and time!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:05 AM
rqf

Utahtea's directions are right on the money. I would make the following suggestion - leave GR. CAnyon through the South Entrance (TUsayan) and go to SEdona by going through WIlliams. If you do decide to double back to Cameron then take the loop road that will take you through Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments. When you get to the junction of 89 and I-40 you will be a few miles from Walnut Canyon National Monument. If time permits it is worth a n hour orvtwo visit.
Some roads you will be traveling won't have much traffic but they are not scary.