Travel route from Sedona to GC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow travelers. Any suggestions about a route from Sedona to Grand Canyon North Rim with interesting stops along the way? Also, any suggestions for things a 15, 11 and 10 year old would enjoy in Sedona area? Anyone been to Jerome??? Jeep tours??
Restaurant recommendations. Thanks a million.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

There is only one direct route to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and that's Hwy 89 north from Flagstaff.

You might be interested in the short loop drive just north of Flagstaff on Highway 395. This takes you to Sunset Crater and past the interesting Pueblo Ruins of Wupatki National Monument.

Jerome is a old mining town and I thought it was interesting. They have mine tours but we didn't do one.

Nearby is Montezuma's Castle National Monument which is also Pueblo Ruins but it looks like a castle built up on a cliff.

Highway 89 is very scenic. You will think you are in the painted desert when you near Cameron, AZ.

Utahtea
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea! You seem to be the best authority on this part of the country. I have learned a lot from some of your other replies. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:03 PM

When are you going? Its been snowing a lot around Flagstaff, so a stop for skiing/snowboarding or just playing in the snow might be fun. Or if its summer stop at Slide Rock to go swimming. I love driving through Oak Creek Canyon. Its slightly longer timewise, but gorgeous!!

Sedona has TONS of things for teen boys to do as long as they like to "rough" it! Jeep tours, ATV rides, dirt bikes, bicycles, hot air balloon rides, horseback riding...there will be plenty to do!

Other than that everything I can think of has already been said. If you buy a map when you are here, it will list all the interesting things on it. Nothing is really "out of the way" And I'm sure you've read about getting Raising Arizona Kids magazines for ideas! HTH!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:17 PM

Oh, I forgot to ask when you were going too. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon DOES NOT OPEN until Mid-May!

http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/trip_planner/index.htm

COOL! I just found a Grand Canyon web cam:

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/ard/parks/grca/grcacam/grcacam.htm

Utahtea
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your responses. We are going the first week of June....