Driving from GC to Sedona

Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Driving from GC to Sedona

I'm entering GC thru the East entrance and staying the night at Bright Angel.

The next morning I'm driving to Sedona.

Am I better off driving out the South entrance/exit and take 64/180 thru Flagstaff or backtrack on 64 and down 89 thru Flagstaff?

Thanks.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM

There are reasons for either. If you come into the Grand Canyon a bit late and don't have time to see the overlooks or stop at the Tusayan Ruins, then you would want to take that road out instead of the south entrance. Also, if you have any interest in Indian ruins and the history of the southwest, Wupatki National Monument has a lot of information on how the natives lived in this forboding area hundreds of years ago. You will also want to drive through Sunset Crater National monument and view on of the most recent volcanic eruptions in the southwest.

If you have spent all the time along the eastern part of the Grand Canyon that you want on the way in, then leaving by way of the south entrance will get you to Sedona earlier.

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, I think you may be missing out on quite a bit with only one night.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM

If you have the time, exit to the east and go south via the loop that leads through Waputki National Monument and the Sunset Crater N M. Both are interesting to see and cover two entirely different subjects.

The drive to the east from the main canyon village takes you past quite a few very interesting viewpoints.

I think if you exit that way it will be a very interesting way to conclude your Grand Canyon visit.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM

When you turn south from Cameron -- if you take 89 to Flagstaff -- please remember to obey the speed limit. The Navajo Police are very strict.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I expect to get to GC early/mid afternoon. Hopefully I'll get to take in the Desert View Drive with various stops along the way. That should help me pick out sunset and sunrise locations.

The time I leave for Sedona will depend on how much I got done the day before. I'll leave time to go to at least some of the viewpoints (hopefully again) in the morning. I'm sure they look different in the morning than they do in mid/late afternoon.

Thanks again.