Help plan a trip to northern Arizona

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help plan a trip to northern Arizona

I'm planning a trip to northern Arizona: Prescott, Jerome, Flagstaff and The Grand Canyon. Any suggestions for lodging, dining, nightlife and things to do?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM

are you open to staying in Sedona?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:36 AM

If you can, spend at least one night at Grand Canyon so you get to see sunset and sunrise, go to the www.nps.gov site and click on Grand Canyon. Check for accommodations during the time of your visit and take the Xanterra number as they get cancellations all the time. Keep calling the closer to your travel time, more cancellations will be coming. Just east of Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon NP which has a neat hike through cliff dwellings. If you go to the east exit from or to the Canyon and then south are the ruins at Wupatki, and ancient volcano Sunset Crater. There are plenty of chain type motel/hotels in Flagstaff area. Between Sedona and Flagstaff is Oak Creek Canyon and Slide Rock State Park.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Are you planning on staying or passing through. It's probably worth staying over at the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff, but Prescott and Jerome are only worth a few hours each (actually, I like Jerome, and I have relatives in Prescott, but would not go out of my way to visit as a tourist).
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

totally with you sf on a few hours each on Jerome/Prescott, which we love but after a couple of hours and that is dining at the Jerome Grand hotel at Asylum which is an excellent restaurant and walking around the shops on the steep roads, I've had enough..
I don't get the allure of Prescott but some people swear by it and good for them!
Sedona is stunning and only about a half hour from Flagstaff..you can get some really great hotel rooms for around $150 or less..
Gotta stay at the Grand Canyon.
Can't imagine being in that area and not seeing and staying in Sedona..it's so magical and no other place like it in the world..imho
There is a Little America hotel in Flagstaff.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM

In Flagstaff you should visit the Lowell Observatory right near downtown. It's famous because this is where Percival Lowell observed markings on Mars that he thought were canals. And it's also where Pluto was discovered.

35 miles to the east of Flagstaff just off I-40 is the Great Meteor Crater (Now it's just called Meteor Crater). It is huge and spectacular. There is a good museum on the rim.

You can google these to get more info.