SW trip help please.

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW trip help please.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at taking the following trip next June (I like to plan early!).
This is what I have so far:

Day 1 Fly London to San Francisco (Overnight ?)
Day 2 SF
Day 3 SF
Day 4 Fly SF to LV (Overnight - The Strip)
Day 5 Pick up rental car, drive to Zion National Park (Overnight Under The Eaves B&B www.undertheeaves.com)
Day 6 Zion
Day 7 Drive to Bryce Canyon (Overnight Bryce Canyon Lodge www.brycecanyonlodge.com)
Day 8 Bryce Canyon
Day 9 Drive to Lake Powell (Overnight ?)
Day 10 Drive to Monument Valley (Overnight Gouldings Lodge www.gouldings.com)
Day 11 Drive to Flagstaff (Overnight ?)
Day 12 Drive to Sedona (Overnight ?)
Day 13 Sedona
Day 14 Drive to LV
Day 15 LV
Day 16 Fly home.

A few questions:
Am I being realistic with the driving? There does not seem to be anything too excessive.
We love to hike (up to 8 miles, no over night camping), see National Parks, photography, take guided tours etc, is there anything close by to this route that I am missing that is a must see?
Any opinions on the lodgings I have picked or can anyone recommend any personal favourites that they have stayed in themselves?
Based upon our interests, are the number of days in each place ok or are any too much or too little?
How hot is it likely to be in June?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark,
Manchester,
England.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Hi Mark, I haven't been yet (we're going in Sept), but it seems you're leaving out a really major thing--the Grand Canyon! I would go to the South Rim for an overnight (so you can see both sunset and sunrise plus have time to hike during the day) instead of the overnight in Flagstaff. Hope you get some more feedback from people who have been there. Also, there are lots of threads on these areas of you do a few searches. Have fun!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:37 AM

I agree that you should not miss a trip to the Grand Canyon. It is an amazing place and provides some wonderful short hikes of all skill levels. You could probably do a trip to the Grand Canyon on Day 12 and still overnight in Sedona. Or do two overnights in Flagstaff and still have one whole day in Sedona. It's not much of a drive from Flagstaff to Sedona. Both are beautiful, but the Grand Canyon is a "don't miss."
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:40 AM

PS - We have been to Arizona several times in June (from our home in eastern U.S.). All temperature ranges, depending on your location, in northern AZ. It has been 60s in Flagstaff, but 90s in the Grand Canyon on the same day. Take sunscreen if you hike the G.C.!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
We are actually visiting the Grand Canyon this September.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:42 PM

We did a SW tour about three years ago. Zion is so beautiful and peaceful that I would spend more than a day and a half. I would add time to Zion (on our SW trip, once we arrived, we very nearly cancelled the rest of the trip, we were so happy at Zion Park and our hotel). Depends on your interests.

I have a couple of lodging suggestions, again, depending on your interests:

Flagstaff---if you like dogs, check out the very unique Sled Dog Inn. It is away from the traffic in a lovely spot with open land (think mountain bike rides in warm weather and sled dog rides in the snow). The property is a beautiful B&B with an alpine-feel, and yes, sled dog racing theme. They have several different types of rooms (for different numbers of people/families,etc). The owners have sled dogs on their property, and you are welcome to visit them and hear them howl at the moon. Breakfast is very good, and owners were very nice. It is a destination in itself. Don't know what else Flagstaff has to offer, but this place is in the woods and very pretty.

Sedona--you might investigate the Southwest Inn at Sedona--kind of a combo between a small inn and a B&B. We didn't stay there (choosing instead a larger property) but regretted that decision. L'Auberge also looked like a very nice place, but this is a pricier hotel.

There is a coffe shop near "coffee pot" red rock that has fantastic pancakes (sorry! Can't remember the name), and the best restaurant on our trip was in Sedona: Cowboy Club--very unique SW dishes and atmosphere.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:31 AM

To save yourself on entrance fees to the national parks get a Parks Pass at your first stop. Costs $50, good for calendar year from when you purchase it, so will be good for your June 05 trip as well. Grand Canyon and Zion both charge $20 and Bryce is $10. If you go to any other parks it has paid for itself.
Don't know if your trip this year will allow you to visit Sedona but with it being so close to the Grand Canyon you might want to consider doing it this year and free up that time for something else next year. If you are into prehistoric rock art, petroglyphs, there are a couple of amazing sites not far from Sedona. Called Honanki and Palatki they are located in the Coconino National Forest. Do a google search and you will find a number of sites to look at.
If you park at any of the trailheads in the Sedona area you will need to pay to park or have a NW forest pass otherwise will run the risk of getting a ticket.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I agree with the others that you definitely do not want to miss the Grand Canyon, which is an easy drive from Lake Powell. Try to leave time for a trip through Antelope Canyon right next door in Page, AZ--we went with Antelope Canyon Tours near the Pizza Hut. It is awesome and won't take but 1 1/2 - 2 hours including the drive to the canyon. Another highlight of our trip was a float trip down the Colorado River from the Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry. This was recommended to us by Utahtea, an expert poster on this site, and it truly was one of the most memorable experiences of our whole Arizona trip. It will take 1/2 day, though, but is well worth the time. The water on Lake Powell is 120 feet below normal, but this does not affect the water levels on the river at all.

We had to give up something, so chose Monument Valley. I know it must be beautiful, but, hopefully, we can do that another time. We were not disappointed that we gave up MV for Lake Powell and Page.

Incidently, Flagstaff is so close to Sedona, you probably could give up the night in Flagstaff and maybe stay an extra night in Page. The Marriott Courtyard is very nice.

Hope this helps a little.

Lynda
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:32 PM

We did a similar trip LV -> Bryce -> Powell -> Phoenix -> Sedona -> GC -> LV in about 7 days including flying in and out of LV. This was in early June

The temperatures fluctuated substantially through the trip. It was about 35F at dawn at Bryce and 110 in Phoenix in the same week. It can get pretty hot south of Sedona. Be prepared for the sun too.

Day 10 might be a little tenuous. The drive to monument valley is long and it could too hot and late in the day when you get there. I would recommend driving straight to MV on day 9 and skipping Lake Powell. Personally, Powell wasnt as interesting as the other things we saw on the trip.

And hey, a visit to the Hopi reservation might be interesting. They have a lodge on the reservation.

BTW watch out for the time changes between the 3 states. Also, the reservations follow times different from AZ state.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:14 AM

Hi Mark,

We did Zion & Bryce last year (we were supposed to go to GC also, but decided to enjoy what we had.

Zion - why not consider a stay at the Desert Pearl in Springdale - great views, great pool, great lodging.

Bryce - we didn't stay there but we did do the half day horse riding (IN the canyon, not from Ruby's) - absolutely awesome! this was the highlight of our trip.

I am going to california and arizona in a few weeks time to see the grand canyon - If I could offer a little advice - one thing I have learned from my trips (this is the 3rd in 3 years) is to slow down a little. Our first trip involved a lot of travelling and we were left with a feeling that we had observed a lot but seen very little, some of the places you mention are simply inbelieveable (especially for a Brit - I work in Bury). If you enjoy a bit of hiking you get to places in just a short walk that will give you some real sense of the space and peace out there, this can only be achieved if you are not looking at your watch all of the time.

I am sure you will enjoy the trip!

Cheers
Andy