grand canyon in 1/2 day?

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grand canyon in 1/2 day?

We'll be staying in Scottsdale for our timeshare week in early May & are planning an overnight trip to either the Grand Canyon or Sedona. If we try to do both, we would only have about 1/2 day in the gc... is this enough time.. or should we do only one of the two? Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 02:10 PM

To truly appreciate the Grand Canyon, you really should experience both a sunset and sunrise within the park. Save Sedona for another trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Spend the night at the Grand Canyon and drive thought Sedona on the way back if you decide you have the time

Utahtea
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Rob

I read somewhere the average visit to the Gr. Canyon was around four hours. Having said that you should plan on spending a full day, minimum, to apprecite the Gr. Canyon. . It is around 15 miles from Sedona to the Canyon. Trip will take at least 2 hours, maybe a bit more.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Maswik and Yavapai lodges at South Rim have availability for almost entire month of May - others have scattered midweek availability. While these 2 would not be my first choice, I agree that staying overnight would be a good idea. As has been suggested here, call the reservation number often and you are more likely to catch a cancellation at Bright Angel or El Tovar. Website for reservations is Xanterra.com
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM

A few years ago I took a half-day visit to the Grand Canyon. A few hours was more than adequate: I was able to walk back and forth over much of the south rim, and still had time to spare. If you want to go hiking or rafting, then more time would be needed. Otherwise, I think you are better off spending the overnight in Sedona.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:37 AM
jtp

Just back from a week at the Grand Canyon - dotted with day trips. We we able to enjoy Sedona is a day-- much depends what you are into. For us, photography was important, and as mentioned, a sunset and sunrise are ideal... as the sun changes any one spot you are viewing also changes. If you spend 1/2 day at the Grand Canyon you will be able to say, "I've been to the Grand Canyone," but honestly you can't say you have seen it. Your best bet at that point is an hour plane ride around the rims, you will see North and South...
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:15 PM

To JoyceL,

You must be a REALLY FAST walker to have walked BACK and FORTH over MUCH of the almost 12 miles of the South Rim Trail in a few hours. I think it's more like, you really didn't get to many of the different overlooks.

Utahtea
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Rob, when we were there, a Park Ranger said the average stay at the Grand Canyon was 45 MINUTES. Whoa.

Right or wrong (to me it wouldn't be nearly long enough) its a personal choice. Many people simply choose to look at the canyon and not hike at all, and thats their choice.

As an aside, I've heard of people staying at Mt. Rushmore / Black Hills /Deadwood area for two weeks. That would be 9-10 days too long for me with so many other things to see in the west. (Not that one couldn't FILL the time there somehow

Bottom line for the OP, if you want to sample both areas, then do it. Any time at the Grand Canyon is better than nothing.