Sedona/Grand Canyon mid-April HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking about flying into Phoenix, renting a car and heading north for 7-10 days. We want to stay in Sedona for 2 nights, hopefully at the South Rim for 2 nights, and then head to?? We do not know if we should go back to Phoenix and then south to Tuscon and take in sites or spend more time north of Phoenix. There are so many sites, but we are stumped. Any suggestions just to get us started? We are not interested in shopping. We want to see nature! Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM

We do not know if we should go back to Phoenix and then south to Tuscon and take in sites or spend more time north of Phoenix.

Mid-April is the perfect time for the low deserts, around both Phoenix and Tucson. Around Phoenix check out the Desert Botanical Garden, then maybe the Apache Trail around the Superstition Mountains, including Lost Dutchman State Park. Boyce Thompson Arboretum is also good, if you decide to circle the Superstitions (it's on the south side). All these areas should be prime with blooming wildflowers and some early cactus blooms since we've had a lot of winter rains, including another big storm this weekend.

Stop at Picacho Peak State Park on the way to Tucson (I think both Dutchman and Picacho are going to be closed due to budget cuts in June but will be open when you're here), which is usually covered with flowers and has some nice hikes.

In Tucson check out the Sonoran Desert Museum and both units of Saguaro National Park. If you really like this kind of scenery you could also dip down to Organ Pipe National Monument south-west of Tucson, which has some unique cactus.

With 10 days maybe split it 2 Sedona, 2 GC, 2 or 3 Phoenix, 4 or 3 Tucson?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM

We are also flying into Phoenix, renting a car and driving to Sedona and GC in mid-April. Our party consists of 2 couples, and we only have 3 full days to visit. Just wondering if your research would help us decide whether we could see enough of the canyon along the South Rim in one day with driving back and forth to Sedona? Is it about a 3 hour drive if we drove straight to the South Rim from PHX airport?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
GC was not among my favorite sights.

Unless you're into hiking you could stop at several viewpoints and that's it. You could spend a couple of hours going part way down into the Canyon. That would give you a better perspective.

If I had to choose between GC and a couple of sights outside of Page I would select Page (Best Dam View, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon). Just my opinion.

As a test, do an interenet search of the Garnd Canyon, "Page Horseshoe Bend", "Page Antelope Canyon" and decide which photos impress you more.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Just wondering if your research would help us decide whether we could see enough of the canyon along the South Rim in one day with driving back and forth to Sedona?

You can do this but it's a bit like jogging thru the Louvre and saying you saw all the paintings ... I would drive up thru Williams, then out the east entrance and back down 89 to Flagstaff. This will let you see (or at least drive by) all the east rim viewpoints.

Personally I feel the canyon looks best late and early in the day because of the light and shadows, say an hour before sunrise to 2 hours after, and 2 hours before sunset until dark. To pull this off you'd need to stay one night at the GC. But for sure just doing a mid-day drive-by is better than not going at all.

Is it about a 3 hour drive if we drove straight to the South Rim from PHX airport?

A bit under four hours in normal traffic from Sky Harbor. Distance is about 240 miles, all freeway until you get to Williams. Going thru Williams is a bit further than going thru downtown Flagstaff but about 15 minutes faster.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 07:21 AM

With 10 days I would consider doing an open jaw flight into Phoenix, and out of Vegas (shouldn't cost much more than a regular round trip). Do Sedona, GC, Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, and a last night in Vegas. Zion and Bryce are amazing.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM

With 10 days I would consider doing an open jaw flight into Phoenix, and out of Vegas

If you are thinking of this then 1) probably cheaper to start in Vegas since car rental costs are lower due to high taxes at Phoenix airport and 2) make sure the one-way rental car drop-off fees aren't too high.