Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix - Grand Canyon - Phoenix. Midday day1 to 4pm day3. Possible?

Mar 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys.
I am from UK and I'm visiting Phoenix for the 1st time May1st - 4th on business. I want to take this opportunity and add a few days to see the GC.
I'll be dropping of my colleague at Phoenix airport midday Thursday May5th and then I'm on my own with my Jeep Wrangler hire car until 4pm on Saturday7th. I fly out of Phoenix 7pm Saturday.
My plan is to drive day1 to Sedona, overnight there, then do GC south rim day 2, maybe overnight in Williams and from there next day return to Phoenix.
Is this schedule carazy, or is it doable? I'd like to stop and take in the views rather than be driving like a maniac!
Any advice on routes, what to see, what I can pass by would be appreciated.
It'll be my first time, and very probably my last time to be able to do this. I'm a reasonable fit middle aged guy.
Mar 10th, 2011, 04:01 AM

I would change the order a bit. I'd try for lodging in GC for the first night. If the web page indicates they are full, phone and keep phoning as people reserve way ahead and then cancel as time gets close. You should be able to make it up before sunset and then be there for sunrise, the two most spectacular of times. Spend a few hours at the beautiful spots along the rim. Then head down to Sedona for an overnight with plenty of time to get back for your 7 pm flight.

Have a fantastic time.
Mar 10th, 2011, 04:15 AM

Doable have done it

www.carrentals.com

www.mapquest.com

1 night www.visitsedona.com

1 night South Rim

1 night back in Sedona

Williams is a dump do not stay there

www.betterbidding.com GREAT hotel deals

Have a blast...
Mar 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Consider exiting the GC on the east side and visiting the Cameron Trading Post and having some Indian Fry bread, then visiting Wupatki/Sunset National Monument on the way back to Flagstaff. Then drive DOWN Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona (a much better drive than driving up the canyon)
Mar 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM

My plan is to drive day1 to Sedona, overnight there, then do GC south rim day 2, maybe overnight in Williams and from there next day return to Phoenix.
Is this schedule carazy, or is it doable?

Like the other posters I'd skip overnighting in Williams (a small logging town with little going on), anywhere up there is better (Flagstaff, Cameron, Sedona) ... it takes about 4 hours to drive to GC from Phoenix airport so you COULD drive up to the south rim on day one in time to catch sunset and overnight there or at nearby Tusayan if you can't get a room inside the park. This will let you view the sunset the first day and the sunrise the 2nd day (the two best times for viewing the Grand Canyon).

Then day 2 take the east exit for a change in scenery, maybe detour thru Wupatki and Sunset Crater on the way to Flagstaff, and then to Sedona via Oak Creek canyon and overnight, then back to Phoenix next day.

So basically skip Williams, try to overnight inside or near the park, and do Sedona on the way back ...
Mar 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM

the trip you mentioned is easily doable. I would try very hard to get lodging at grand canyon. that way you get a sunset and a sunrise there.That is the best times since things are changing so wonderfully.Failing that I would spend the secocond night in sedona or flagstaff.There is no appeal to williams.No matter what you do you will have some great memories to take home.
Mar 11th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the advice.
OK I've ammended my itinerary. I'm dropping off my colleagues at PHX 9.30am. From there I drive north on I17. Then through Flagstaff and via 180/64 to Tusayan.
I've managed to get lodge accommadation in the park village so I can catch the sunset and have dinner.
Next morning after sunrise and breakfast I'm doing the Desert View Drive, leaving the park via the east entrance I'll turn south heading towards Sedona. Enroute I want to take in Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and after flagstaff, turn off onto the 89A down though Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona.
Haven't booked my Sedona accommadation yet....my net connection kept freezing on me!!!
Mar 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Best wishes for a great trip!!!
Mar 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM

This is a much better plan than the original. Should have a good time.

Then through Flagstaff and via 180/64 to Tusayan.

Taking I-40 to Williams and then up to Tusayan is a bit further but about 15-20 minutes faster because of the Interstate, in case you need to make up some time. But the drive thru Flag is more scenic, so no reason to change unless you just want to save time.
Mar 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM

your modified trip sounds great.I might suggest that since you are interested in visiting wupatki n.m. you might also check out Montezuma Castle while you are in or leaving Sedona.
Have fun!
Mar 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their advice. But I need to trouble you all once again....
FEES!
What are the entrance fees into Grand Canyon Park?
I've also heard that for my drive down through Oak Creek Canyon that I need a 'Red Rocks Pass' to park anywhere along the road. Does this include just pulling over to take pictures or isn't that allowed?
Where do I get this from (hopfully at the north end as I enter).
Do I need CASH to pay these fees or can I use UK credit cards (Visa/Mastercard) or my UK Visa debit card?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Mar 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM

What are the entrance fees into Grand Canyon Park?

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/entrance-fees.htm has the GC fee answers (basically $25 for 7 days, credit cars accepted).

I've also heard that for my drive down through Oak Creek Canyon that I need a 'Red Rocks Pass' to park anywhere along the road

http://www.redrockreview.com/ ... typically this $5 fee is charged for National Forest access, generally at parking lots by trailheads. Most places on the main roads you can just pull over and take photos or whatever without getting this.

Lot of people have fought this fee and it seems some years they collect it and some years they back off when it's tied up in court ... I remember the fee collection stations were vandalized when they first started several years ago, for example ... I think maybe they are collecting it now though (not certain) ... http://azdailysun.com/news/local/gov...da565719f.html
Mar 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM

credit cars accepted

Ooops, I meant "credit carDs accepted" ...
Mar 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM

If you will be visiting many National Parks within the next year, you can get a pass for $80 that is good at all National Parks for everyone in your car. This would involve visiting at least 4 parks in the year to make it cost effective, but is available for everyone. The real bargain is only for US senior citizens, $ 10 for a lifetime pass.

Hope you have a fantastic trip.
Mar 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Keep in mind that the drive from phoenix to gc is very mountainous terrain. The drive will be scenic!
Mar 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks lockio...that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I've scheduled 8 hours for Phoenix to GC to give myself plenty of opportunity for pulling over and doing the 'tourist' bit! I'll also be driving a Wrangler Jeep for any little off-road excursions that may grab my fancy (don't worry - I've been doing 4WD off-roading in UK and Philippines for years!).
getting excited now - hotels all booked: flights arranged: handicam memory freed up!
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Silly question I know - but what is the mobile phone signal like at the GC?
I 'd like to share the moment with my family on the other side of the world.